Sign in to follow this  
Stevezilla

Value of a 1939 Chevy

Not to get too OT but I understand that one popular trend in So Cal is to buy these late 30s - early postwar cars, maybe lower them, and get creative with paint - and load them up with every conceivable factory and aftermarket accesory, but leave them basically stock mechanically. If that is the case, good for those guys - they are probably saving a lot of these cars vs. the fate of one subjected to the radical "upgrades" seen on a lot of street rods.

I would only add for the OP that these are almost as easy as Fords to source parts for; does not look like a monumental project.

As Mustang58 said, these cars are very popular with the Chicanos, et al, and for good reason. They are very attractive with the wide outside sun visor and a few options, of which there were very many. I do not see any on your car; probably a standard and they also had a deluxe model, but I do not recall what they called them -- fleetmaster comes to mind. I know something of what I speak. I sold for $2800 a 4 door deluxe, in no where near as nice of condition as the one you pictured) version very quickly on ebay. This was about 10 years ago. I should add that, as far as I could tell (I drove the car under tow), these were remarkably good cars, solid, good suspension, etc.

There were 2 model lines in 1939 Master and the Master Deluxe. Again the big variable with this car is that it is not running. My biggest fear with these splash oilers is an engine knock when they do start. The few old Chevy's I came across that were sitting a long time with low mileage, that seemed to be the reason as to why they were parked, they needed a lower half rebuild, which can be rather costly dealing with babbit bearings, and having it machiened for inserts which is possible, but is even more costly

As Mustang58 said, these cars are very popular with the Chicanos, et al, and for good reason. They are very attractive with the wide outside sun visor and a few options, of which there were very many. I do not see any on your car; probably a standard and they also had a deluxe model, but I do not recall what they called them -- fleetmaster comes to mind. I know something of what I speak. I sold for $2800 a 4 door deluxe, in no where near as nice of condition as the one you pictured) version very quickly on ebay. This was about 10 years ago. I should add that, as far as I could tell (I drove the car under tow), these were remarkably good cars, solid, good suspension, etc.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJadRJg2oRze9L0jbKawR95QHvEQccCF2mOCIoaQ9xLcn0Gd96http://dealeraccelerate-all.s3.amazonaws.com/ag/images/2/5/25/1175_643165e408_low_res.jpg

Edited by prs519
add pic (see edit history)