100% original 75' riviera

Guest 75'

I am 16, and I am asking my dad for the buick riviera that is sitting in our garage. It is 100% bone stock original I could use some help persuading him on why I deserve this car I will also be answering any questions about the car you have.

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. I am sure you will find lots of folks here interested in talking about young people in the antique car hobby as well as folks who love talking about Buicks and Rivieras in particular. If you scroll down a little bit you will find a Riviera Specific subforum.

Guest my3buicks

Pretend we are you father and more important than talking us into giving it to you, tell us why YOU want it. Also, what are your plans for it. To me that would be far more important.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Just a pet peeve of mine. I've never seen a 75 foot Riviera, plenty of '75 Riv's but never a 75'. That aside, welcome to the Forum! A few years ago, I gave my nephew a '90 Olds Toronado for his 16 birthday. Two years later he showed it in his first AACA National Meet and was awarded his HPOF certification. I'm like the rest of the guys above, tell us why you want it and what you want to do with it. Would love to see you get it.

I feel like I deserve this car because my dad and I have always talked about fixing it up and he thinks we can do it with about 500-600 dollars it is the last 455 riviera ever made and it has just over 9000 original miles it's rusty in places, but nothing has ever been done to it before as far as putting in new parts goes, and I plan to keep it that way. It's the factory color and has some red stripes on the sides that are original as well. As for why I deserve this car I don't know, I have never done anything with cars before, but I know this one is amazing. Thankfully my dad notices I want it he just wants me to prove it by helping him get it out of the garage and washing it, and other simple things. I don't want to modify the car in any way aside from rust repair and a fresh coat of paint. I hope this information helped

How about this. Don't try to talk him into anything. Ask one day if it is ok to wash the car. If you can find a can of car wax in the garage, polish it and wax it. If it doesn't have a cover, ask your mom for some old sheets to cover it with. Clean the inside, vacuum carpets, DON'T use Armor All it damages the plastic.

Ask your dad if the two of you can get it running. If it has not run in years check the gas has not gone bad, other than that, it should not be hard to get it running. It may need a new battery.

Next step should be to get plates and insurance and drive it around. See if he will let you drive it. If you respect the car, take care of it and do not drive it hard maybe he will let you drive it. Maybe you can go to the local cruise nights and car shows together.

At this point who cares who owns it. But by and by he will probably give it to you. If he is half way human.

In other words don't try to talk him into something he doesn't want to do. Show him how much you value and respect the car. Put the time and work into it. This will do more than anything to convince him he should give you the car.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

I think Rusty's advice is spot on. For the record, 1976 was the last year for a 455 powered Riv. Tell us a little miore about the Riv, color, options, etc. a picture would be nice. What is the stiry behind the low mileage? I was looking fir some passion fir the car in what you said and dudn't see mych until the phrase " but I know this oe is amzing" which gave me hope that you want it for the right reasons. If the car has been sitting as long as you imply, i think the $500-600 dollar estimate to get it safely back on the road is way under what it will actually take. New tires alone will eat substancially into that fugure. All that said it will make a great bonding project for you and your Dad, and once on the road the two of you can continue the great times together taking it to local cruises, etc.

How about this. Don't try to talk him into anything. Ask one day if it is ok to wash the car. If you can find a can of car wax in the garage, polish it and wax it. If it doesn't have a cover, ask your mom for some old sheets to cover it with. Clean the inside, vacuum carpets, DON'T use Armor All it damages the plastic.

Ask your dad if the two of you can get it running. If it has not run in years check the gas has not gone bad, other than that, it should not be hard to get it running. It may need a new battery.

Next step should be to get plates and insurance and drive it around. See if he will let you drive it. If you respect the car, take care of it and do not drive it hard maybe he will let you drive it. Maybe you can go to the local cruise nights and car shows together.

At this point who cares who owns it. But by and by he will probably give it to you. If he is half way human.

In other words don't try to talk him into something he doesn't want to do. Show him how much you value and respect the car. Put the time and work into it. This will do more than anything to convince him he should give you the car.

Excellent advice - Actions always speak louder than words

I think Rusty's advice is spot on. For the record, 1976 was the last year for a 455 powered Riv. Tell us a little miore about the Riv, color, options, etc. a picture would be nice. What is the stiry behind the low mileage? I was looking fir some passion fir the car in what you said and dudn't see mych until the phrase " but I know this oe is amzing" which gave me hope that you want it for the right reasons. If the car has been sitting as long as you imply, i think the $500-600 dollar estimate to get it safely back on the road is way under what it will actually take. New tires alone will eat substancially into that fugure. All that said it will make a great bonding project for you and your Dad, and once on the road the two of you can continue the great times together taking it to local cruises, etc.

Agree - $5-600 estimate is way low. Budget min $1500 "if" you can do all the work yourself. $2500 min if you have a shop do it. That doesn't including rust repair. Getting it running and driving is one thing, making it safe and reliable to drive is another.

purge the word "deserve" - it connotes entitlement, which you ain't got

Could be the best advice yet!

75 Rivs are nice driving cars and mechanical parts are still readily available and therefore reasonably priced. It'd be great if you can revive this car and start enjoying it. 74-76 Rivs are scarce at the Riviera Owners Association national meets. When one does show up it gets attention. I always felt the high mounted tail lights were a very cool attraction with these cars.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

A new battery will be $100 - $150. Tires $600. Brakes and who knows what else? Will cost a lot.

BUT it does not have to be all at once. That is the point. Start by washing the car, pumping up the tires, cleaning windows, vacuuming carpets etc and get it looking good. This will not cost much, just some soap and water and a can of car polish and a can of tire spray. Next get it running, this might cost a battery and a can of gas if you are lucky.

The expense can be spread out over time, and every investment of time and money will show some improvement. It is easier to do things this way than commit a huge amount of money all at once.

It also depends on the family finances. A lot of people are not doing too well at the present time, and possibly facing layoffs especially in the oil industry. It is possible the old man doesn't have the money and prefers not to discuss it. But you could still clean the car up and preserve it.

There is another angle on this. Given the cost of gas and insurance for a car like that you might be better off if he DOESN'T give it to you. Help get it on the road and maybe you can drive it from time to time. If he gave you the car chances are you could not afford to pay for the repairs, gas, and insurance. Insurance especially is murder at your age for a powerful car. And a car like that gets about 12 MPG. compared to 36 for a late model front drive Buick. In other words $100 a week for fuel vs $33. And possibly $500 a month for insurance.

If you've talked about doing the car together then you ought to do just that. Do it together. Ownership isn't important. It should definitely NOT be YOUR daily driver. You should buy a $500-$1000 old beater for that. If you and your dad can enjoy time together enjoying the car, it won't matter who hold the title at all. I wish my dad and I had something like that, honestly, I'd buy him a car and work on it for him if it meant he'd go to car events with me.

If the car was yours, do you have a way to insure it and keep it registered/inspected (if needed)? How about keeping up the repairs. Bringing a 40 year old car out of retirement is more than just a spray of starter fluid. I'd let dad pay for those things for as long as I can. If he let me borrow the keys once in awhile it'd be good by me. Down the road, I'm sure it can be yours, I just don't see the value of that for you at this time.

Start taking cosmetic care of the Riv, learn how to change oil and tune it up, help yer dad get it running and roadworthy, then I think it's probably gonna be yours. Sounds to me like he's just feeling you out now to see if you're truly interested in this uncommon Riviera. While you're at it, join the Riviera Owners' Association. There'll be plenty of help and tech advice there. Even if you've never done anything with cars before, always remember- NO one is born knowing anything. Learning is a great part of the fun of anything, and knowledge can never be taken from you.

I'll say it again- there's a lot of guys on these Forums who have completely forgotten what it's like to be 16 years old, interested in cars, and wanting your own. Sometimes you just have to say the hell with practicality and give in to passion. Matt Harwood said it best to another novice old car guy earlier this week- "you'll look like a rock star driving it".

Do you really want to be boring in a Honda, Toyota or other "practical car for a 16 yr old"? Dependable and thrifty, yes, but they have all the panache and personality of a washing machine.

Guest my3buicks

One step better, start making payments with the agreement that the funds will be put back into the car as needed to get it road ready.

As I reread this thread I am seeing a once in a lifetime opportunity for an excellent experience between you and your dad reviving family owned car and keeping it in the family. As a teenager emotions relative to the car itself can cloud the value of that opportunity. If you can make this a father son project, as the years pass you will forever look back on it as a positive learning experience in more ways than just learning to fix an old car.

There has been a lot of good advice here. Take your time and sort it out. If/when you decide to move forward start a post in the Riviera Owners forum under the Buick Clubs heading. This will provide a deeper pool of experienced Riviera specific people who can offer guidance.

I drove a 67 Riviera when I was 16. Even in 1978 friends looked at me as the different one because of my choice in cars. Even though I didn't know it, I recognized exceptional class and style when I saw it just as you do with the 75. I bought it because I liked the look and it was cheap. I had no idea Riviera's would become a lifelong passion.

Good Luck!

Guest bkazmer

quick war story from way back whenI was 16 and wanted a car. My Dad went around with me to show me how to evaluate cars. (Settled on a 41 Plymouth in a barn, no rust, mostly original paint and upholstery, stuck engine) He loaned me the purchase price, taught me as we rebuilt the engine. I bought all parts, tires, battery, etc. Paid him back when I sold it eventually. Great experience, and my start in the hobby. I also realized that my Dad had made sure that I was going to take care of the car as I had every penny I earned in it. You have a chance for something similar.