New project Keep the engine + trans or swap frame?

Guest Fargo1940

Guest Fargo1940

Hi, I am new to this forum and I hope I can get some help figuring how to restore my 1940 Fargo truck. The engine is not seized (but dunno if it runs yet), has 70 000 miles and the frame is in good condition. Is it worth repairing the engine/transmission/differential or should I swap frame with a chevy S-10 to get a newer engine and transmission in?

I also wonder if I can simply use Jeep 4x4 axel +engine, trans and differential.

Thanks all :)

Edited by Fargo1940 (see edit history)

Sounds like you are looking for permission rather than help. If you really want to restore your truck there should be no question about reusing the original parts, especially if they are restorable. If you want a hot rod then you may find more info on the H.A.M.B of some other hot rod forum. Fargo trucks are not that common and it would be nice to see it restored to original. You may also find that it will cost as much or more to really rebuild that truck into a rod than to restore it but good luck with it whichever way you go.

Keep it stock. If you want a Chev S10 get a Chev S10. If you want a Fargo keep it Fargo.

If it was mine I would get it running first and see what it needs. I have put several of the old flatheads back in commission, if it is complete and turns over 9 chances out of 10 you can get it running for little or no cost.

Parts to keep it running are available from your local NAPA or other good parts store. They may have to order them but can get them in a couple of days. The same engine was used from 1938 to 1968 in Dodge and Fargo trucks and various Chrysler built cars not to mention Massey Ferguson equipment, and industrial and marine engines. There are many thousands still in service. Front axle king pins were the same up to 1971. Brakes etc also were used for many years.

They are one of the easiest vehicles to work on. Simpler and solider built than any modern car or truck.

Guest Fargo1940
Hi, I am new to this forum and I hope I can get some help figuring how to restore my 1940 Fargo truck. The engine is not seized (but dunno if it runs yet), has 70 000 miles and the frame is in good condition. Is it worth repairing the engine/transmission/differential or should I swap frame with a chevy S-10 to get a newer engine and transmission in?

I also wonder if I can simply use Jeep 4x4 axel +engine, trans and differential.

Thanks all :)

Hi

I wondering if I can use an envoy 2005 underneath pikup truck fargo 1940

Guest Bob Call

Fargo1940

Did you read the responses to your original post? If you don't want to keep it original, sell it to someone that will appreciate what it is and keep it original. Then buy yourself a crappy late model mini truck, seems that is what you really want.