convertible tops

I have a 1975 caprice convertible that is in need of a new top. First of all I see I can get a new top online for about $320. The local auto upholsterer wants $1100 to do it. For the big difference it seems worth it to try myself. Has anyone ever done a 1970's GM convertible top at home? I have heard that they are a real bear.

I installed the top on my 62 olds myself,it came out ok,but never again.I will let someone who knows what they are doing install it the next time.

You are dealing with the infamous all-electric "scissor top". Find a <B>competent</B> shop to do this job and be advised that many shops will not touch one of these. Have the trim shop check over the top frame thoroughly and correct any problems before they install the top cover.<P>It's been several years since I had one done, but depending on your area of the country $1100 is not unreasonable for this job.<P>I recommend getting the heaviest weight top fabric you can find and sacrificing the factory type glass window in favor of plastic (unless you have a rear defog car, then you're almost obligated to get glass). My experience is that these tops are bad about the glass pulling loose from the window panel lower valance.<P>If you get a glass window, make sure the trim shop reconnects the guide bars between the lower valance panel and the top frame assembly. They pull the glass down and under the body opening when the top is lowered. If these aren't connected, the first time the top goes down you will have a busted back window. <P>If you are bound and determined to do this job yourself, get a 1975 Fisher Body Manual. The entire removal/replacement/adjustment procedure is in it.<p>[ 07-08-2002: Message edited by: rocketraider ]

• 12 years later...
Guest Ntrtaynr

I had a beauty new top installed some time ago on my car. This year, after I JUST brought it out for spring, the top has stopped working. I can hear buzzing in the back, no love. anyone have any experience with this type of thing? I am naturally hoping it's a fuse or something simple, but not sure where to begin....

Greg