Friction drive material for 1905 Sears Auto Buggy

Recently bought a 1905 Sears Auto Buggy with a variable speed friction drive. It has an aluminum disc on the end of the crankshaft that rotates at engine rpm. To make the auto move, a pulley that has friction material on the OD is engaged into the rotating aluminum disc. The pulley slides across a keyed shaft by use of a hand lever and this give variable speeds forward and also reverse.<P>The friction material on the driven pulley is worn down to the point it needs to be replaced. the material looks to be a laminated material that is about 1 1/2 inches thick. The pulley is a two piece unit with the sides and friction material held together with several screws that pass through the friction material and are threaded into the pulley. The pulley is about 52 inches in circumference. Can someone tell me what kind of material I should use on this driven pulley and where I can get it? thank you.

Guest EMF-Owner

My father is replacing the friction material on his Sears (1909 #1204). He is using masonite layered up to the correct thickness. When you take yours apart, you will see that the original material is like pressed paper. Almost looks like sheets of 1/4" masonite. <P>This replacement was recommended my a friend of my fathers who has a saw mill that is friction driven and that is what he uses on it with very good results. <P>You want to also check the condition of the Aluminum plate on the flywheel. If it is scored badly, take it off and try the other side. <P>I am planning on starting a Sears Webpage, so keep an eye out here for an announcement when it is ready. Busy right now with the E-M-F Homepage.