Speedo gear

Al Smeraldo

Lots of cars seem to use only one set of gears in the tranny, they were/are made in one plant not knowing what ratio rear they would be mated to, then shipped over to the final assembly plant. For accuracy an external gear box is screwed on to compensate for any but standard rear ratio, then the cable.

I installed a rebuilt transmission in my 1969 Cutlass S - I need to find out what the proper speedo gear is - any idea where I would find this? It is a 2 speed auto tranny - neith the local dealership or local transmission rebuilder were much help. nobody seems to want to bother with the older cars.

Your best bet would be to locate a parts book for yourself. Looking up the proper speedo driven gear would tell you the colour and number of teeth. It sure makes looking easy if you know what you are looking for. By the way I think the first thing anyone should do when the buy a car, any car ( antique, vintage, pre-war, post-war,old used or new) is to buy a complete shop manual and of course on the little bit older ones you can get parts manuals too. Many if not most of the will it fit or not type of questions can be answered in this way. However the downside is that we would a lot of these forum discussions. So maybe forget what I suggested, don't buy a manual.<BR>Happy Hobbying