Bridgehampton 1952

The car had a full roller crank like a GP Bugatti. The owner stopped Vintage racing this car sometime in the early 1960's I was told. When asked why he pulled a golf tee out of his pocket and flipped in in the air. Hobbies change, I think this car is in Europe now. Bob

Back in 1970 when I started a summer job that Austie Clark Duesenberg was a stack of parts in the back corner of the shop, the 16 valve walking beam engine was wrapped in plastic in another corner. We used to climb over the chassis pile to get to other things. David did a great job building the engine that is in it now. Sure was fun getting a ride in at Lime Rock, better yet was a ride with him in a T head MERCER 49 years after seeing my first one. Bob

Guest T-Head

top1.jpg

Wilber D'Arlene finished 2nd, at the 1916 Indy 500 with the car, which at the time was one of the Duesenberg 300 c.i. 16-Valve Walking-Beam Team Cars. Lou Hoyt the third owner is seen above in the car in the late-teens. It survived in this condition and was discovered by the late Duesenberg historian Fred Roe and Charlie Fisher in 1941 and Charlie had it back on the track in 1946.

It is one of only a few pre-WWII racing cars to have survived in its original state. It is part of Joseph Freeman's racing car collection and he has entered it in many vintage racing events both here in the US and the UK.

It is presently on exhibit at the Owls Head Museum of Transportion racing vehicle exhibit Faster: The Quest For Speed and you and see it there with many others.

West Peterson did an excellent article on it in Cars and Parts back around 2002.

We have been taking care of this car for the past 20-years and look for a special feature about it later in the year on The Old Motor when it comes back to the shop.

Photos can be seen below of its unique 16-valve engine.

oh7.jpg

16-Valves1.jpg

16-Valve-II1.jpg