Should I Buy? Young man looking for advice re: 1989 TC 22,000 Miles

Guest casa.alberto

Guest casa.alberto

Hello Everyone,

I am completely new to TCs, so all of your advice and perspective is much appreciated.

I've been in contact with the owner of a 1989 Chrysler Maserati TC Convertible with about 22,000 miles on it.

Here are the specs as provided by the owner:

Cabernet and Ginger

< 22,000 miles

2.2 L straight 4 Chrysler K engine

New battery

Condition: Good -- mechanically sound (according to owner)Hard Top: Excellent (SOLD SEPARATELY)

Tires: Need replacing

Damage: Faded paint on hood, minor scratches, rust pellet on driver's door, faded patch on left side convertible top. Rear window automatic up/down not working but there is a replacement motor not yet installed.

He said it was his mother's and she rarely drove it. Unfortunately, it has been living outside since then (perhaps seven years?) He said he has driven it a few times in the last four years. Needs fluids changed etc. and tires replaced but otherwise should be good mechanically. So he says. What should I watch out for?

I'm going to take a look tomorrow. Any information that I can arm myself with would be much, much appreciated.

His asking price was $2400 to get it all in working order, and $1400 for a "tow away today" sort of deal.

Thanks!

Guest BobFitz

Hardtop should come with car. They sell on Ebay for $50.

Any car rarely driven for 7 years will have many potential problems. Fluid change and filters(including gas) is a starting point. I am always leery of a car sitting for a long period- why?

Find a good mechanic who is familiar with Chrysler K cars and have him check it out.

$1400 may seem like a deal but after sitting and not having regular maintenance you could potentially spend many thousands getting the car in good shape.

You did not say where the car is at but if it is in the north with salt on the roads rust may be a problem. Italian cars seem to be worse in this area for some reason- no rustproofing?

Welcome to the wonderful world of TCs!

Bob

The key expense item you did not tell us about is the engine. Is it a SOHC or DOHC. Without looking you can tell us about the transmission. If it is a five speed manual the car probable has a DOHC and I think mom would not have done any changes to the engine or transmission. The DOHC and transmission are much more unique (only 501 made) and hard to find mechanics that know what they are doing with this configuration.

I bought one last summer with 41,000 miles. You will need to replace the flex lines on the brakes and completely flush the brake fluid. If the leather seats are good, you are ahead of the game. Find a mechanic in the area. Turbo-Mopar is for Turbo Dodge enthusiast. They can help you where you are.

Hello Everyone,

I am completely new to TCs, so all of your advice and perspective is much appreciated.

I've been in contact with the owner of a 1989 Chrysler Maserati TC Convertible with about 22,000 miles on it.

Here are the specs as provided by the owner:

Cabernet and Ginger

< 22,000 miles

2.2 L straight 4 Chrysler K engine

New battery

Condition: Good -- mechanically sound (according to owner)Hard Top: Excellent (SOLD SEPARATELY)

Tires: Need replacing

Damage: Faded paint on hood, minor scratches, rust pellet on driver's door, faded patch on left side convertible top. Rear window automatic up/down not working but there is a replacement motor not yet installed.

He said it was his mother's and she rarely drove it. Unfortunately, it has been living outside since then (perhaps seven years?) He said he has driven it a few times in the last four years. Needs fluids changed etc. and tires replaced but otherwise should be good mechanically. So he says. What should I watch out for?

I'm going to take a look tomorrow. Any information that I can arm myself with would be much, much appreciated.

His asking price was $2400 to get it all in working order, and $1400 for a "tow away today" sort of deal.

Thanks!

Hi, you have seen some answers already. Tell us what you found when you viewed the car. Be as specific as you can. Hopefully you did not buy it yet, before getting further assistance from us. Look at condition of coolant in radiator, look for oil and coolant leaks. Look underneath the car, closely. Check that the ABS brake pump works when ignition is turned on. The ABS brake system is the most critical and one of the most difficult parts to service or replace.

We will be waiting for your reply. Be sure to include the 17 digit VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)

Edited by Hemi Dude
additional information added (see edit history)

Guest casa.alberto

Thanks everyone for the responses so far! I'm heading out the door to take a look at it.

Youthful fancy aside- I'll make sure to consult with the community before making any rash decisions. And maybe talk to my wife. Haha. It is not the manual version, so I imagine just sohc.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TVPro2r

I'm the guy selling this 1989 Maserati TC and there are some good comments and questions here. I've since fixed it up and it runs beautifully - and the mechanic gave it a solid write up. It could use some power steering and transmission fluids as well as new tires and paint. Other than that, it's running fast. I agree that I need to include the hard top with it, as I'll never get around to selling it anyway, based on how I let this car sit for so long without getting to it.

A question I have: Since it is a 1989, do I need to worry about Colorado Emissions Testing, or is this car 'grand-fathered' in? I suppose it varies from state to state.

Anyway, good comments here and I'll let prospective buyers, on the fence, know about this site. Best, Bill

Guest BobFitz

Since I'm in Texas I don't need Colorado emissions testing.......

Are the transmission and power steering leaking fluid?

Bob