How NOT to Sell A Car!

Although both men in this story are deceased, I will not mention any names or the make of car. I hope you will enjoy this as much as I have.

I purchased an antique car sometime back, and included with the car was a folder full of various documents - the usual invoices, etc. Included in the folder was the following handwritten letter from a previous owner to his prospective purchaser:

"Here are some pictures of my car. As you can see, this car is for a big boy - not a Model A or T type of guy - and not for a "minor leaguer."

The car is way under priced at $38,000 - it should be around $75,000 in its' premium condition. As you can see, it is a very fine car, and 100% all there.

I have another man who is very serious, and he is coming to see it. If YOU are serious, it's going to take at least $36,500, or you can just look at the pictures. It's going to take a big boy for this one to be sitting in their garage. Thanks for your interest."

The best part is that there were also some insurance documents in the folder that showed that at that exact time, the prospective purchaser owned.......... you guessed it! a Model A........ AND a Model T !!!! Furthermore, the purchaser was FAR from being a "minor leaguer." (whatever that was supposed to mean) He was a self made multi -millionaire founder of a large corporation. He must have had a great sense of humor, as he not only bought the car, but retained the above letter. I purchased the car from a dealer who had purchased it from his estate.

Although the above method resulted in a successful transaction, I would submit that it is most likely not the optimal approach. :)

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I have to say I admire the man who received that letter and didn't react. I'd have been sorely tempted to write something very rude on the envelope and send it back. But, you've reminded me of a similar story. Many years ago I attended my one and only "Brass & Gas" tour in Newport, RI with my partly finished 1910 REO. One of the very nice people I met there was driving a fairly shabby 20HP Hupmobile which elicited some derogatory comments from a few (actually very few) of the other participants. One person in particular was regularly demeaning until, in the course of conversation, he heard the owner of the Hup say how much more fun it was to drive than his other car. "Oh, what might that be" asked the gentleman with the superior attitude... "A 1914 Silver Ghost" answered the owner of the Hup.

It's funny I get the same thing when I'm selling the 48 Plymouth that has the completely shot paint job. I've had a couple of guys come to look at it. Due to the layout of my shop when you walk in (it's 2 large bays big enough for pretty much one car each and the entry door is in the first bay) the first thing you see is my 36 Cord phaeton, which presents quite well even though it doesn't run. I quite often get a wow, what is that, is it real, or didn't expect to see that. It's kind of funny to see the expressions.

I know at car shows when I'm talking cars with someone I just met and the question comes up what do you have, I usually just mention the Plymouth, my 56 Olds and "a few others" I say. I don't usually bring up the Cord or anything else that's kind of more next level so to say unless the guy I'm talking to is familiar with the other cars and I feel it's appropriate to bring them up. I'm not one to brag about my cars. (most of them need work anyways) It helps kind of put everybody on the same level from the get go. I don't look down at any "lesser cars" Hey I can appreciate a Gremlin in Mint condition. I would have loved to buy that 60's rambler wagon at Hershey and had no problem driving it around.

I do once in a while put a guy in his place who thinks his @#$% doesn't stink though. Kind of like cahartley said. Only when it seems necessary though which is usually not that often. Seems most often when you are looking at cars for sale that you run into it.

Arrogance, like the seller in 31Caddy's account,

can crop up at any level. The #2 janitor at Kmart

might think he's better than the #3 janitor there---

Thankfully, better qualities are seen more often.

The honest and sincere janitor is a better man

(and probably enjoys life more) than the arrogant billionaire!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

John, even in this rural area I know several millionaires........actually more than several.

All but one (who's kind of arrogant but not impossible) are wonderful, down to earth people.

I'd venture to say there are far more "average" arrogant collectors than rich ones.

I'd venture to say there are far more "average" arrogant collectors than rich ones.

I think that a very good observation and one that I agree with. It isn't a matter of how much money a person has, it has more to do with people who see their "superior" car, or collection or peculiar skill as their sole source of status. This is true with all sorts of collecting as well as other pastimes (sports come to mind...).

My takeaway from this little story has less to do with the arrogance/pride/boldness (or whatever) of the seller than it has to do with the good humor and humility of the buyer. I am afraid ( and somewhat ashamed to admit) that my response would probably have been to fire off a "nasty gram" response to the seller. Instead, the buyer "kept his eye on the ball", obtained a car that he wound up being happy with for a number of years, and had himself a hearty laugh in the process. It's great that 23 years later, we can also have a laugh, and perhaps learn some lessons, from him.

I had the pleasure of speaking with his daughter after purchasing the car. She was unaware of the letter, and it brought her to tears when I shared the story. This was the approach that her father evidently tried to take in all of his dealings.

A wise lady I once knew, whose husband owned a few Model T's (because he loved Model T's, not because it was all he could afford) told me when I commented on how nice a wealthy person had been to me at a car show said, "John, it not the people who have money that you have to be wary of, it's the people who want you to think they have money." Several years ago the Rolls-Royce Bentley Owners met at the Homestead Hotel in Hot Springs, Virginia and announced Thursday that their cars would be on display Friday. I went up there and spent several hours talking to the car owners and taking pictures and I don't think I have ever felt more welcome or met nicer people at a car show.