1940 Torpedo

deac

First I will lament that there's hardly any info readily available for old Pontiacs on the web; unless you're a POCI member which I am not. However I will join now.

Enough of that...

Today I noticed a wire hanging down from the left hand side of the dashboard near the headlight switch. It does carry a .5 volts regardless if the headlights are on or off. I have two ideas about where it would go. The first is it goes to the fuel gauge. The reason for that is the gauge always reads full and if I am correct in my thinking the gauge will read differently depending on the sender voltage output. The second is the gauge lights. But I would think those lights would work off of 6 volts.

Next issue is access to the gauges. I cannot get under that dash to see much unless I contort myself in the front foot well and I am not a young 20 something year old. Is there any way of popping out the gauges and/or the dash mounted switches??

Any help is appreciated,

Chris

Edited by deac (see edit history)

Glad to hear you are going to join POCI. Be sure to join ETC also. I'd suggest buying a shop manual. Ebay would be a good place to find one. It will be a big help on many problems and will have a wiring diagram in it. The shop manual will tell you how to trouble shoot your fuel gauge problem. I do have a large inventory of NOS parts for a '40. Kurt Kelsey Antique Pontiac Parts 641-648-9086 Thanks!

Thanks for the info.

I have a shop manual and it does include troubleshooting the fuel gauge and the wiring diagram. But the wiring diagram is very generic and I was just hoping that the loose wire would be for the gauge. I do refer to the manual a lot but it just isn't complete and with my luck up until now I have troubles with the incomplete parts of the manual.

However the gauge lights that recently lit up when the headlights were on don't light up anymore. So I quite confident that the wire is from the main light switch. But access is still an issue; any help on that is still appreciated.