Fuse #2 Blows when Pass. Door is opened

Mr. Anderson

Ok, so I have narrowed down the fuse #2 issue. I can consistently get it to blow the fuse when I open the passenger door. Now, from the wiring diagram that I have, the only things on that fuse that are involved with that door are the power mirrors, the door lights, and the courtesy lights. What would be the smartest approach to this?

Guest Corvanti

if the mirror & lights "work" when the door is shut, my first thought is that's a crimped/bare wire that grounds out when the door is opened. maybe a wire in the area near the door or in the door itself that moves when the door is opened.

a WAG.:)

Look at the door harness as it passes through the body to (and through) the door strain relief (rubber accordion) as well as inside the door shell. It is pretty well protected most of the way but may have gotten chafed/pinched/wire(s) broken at some point. This has happened before, though not that common.

A bit odd that it goes away when the drivers door is open, but returns when it is closed. I need to think on that a bit.

KDirk

Guest HuevosRanchero
Look at the door harness as it passes through the body to (and through) the door strain relief (rubber accordion) as well as inside the door shell. It is pretty well protected most of the way but may have gotten chafed/pinched/wire(s) broken at some point. This has happened before, though not that common.

A bit odd that it goes away when the drivers door is open, but returns when it is closed. I need to think on that a bit.

KDirk

I would imagine the door switches were in series...?

Power window switches are a series circuit (i.e. if switch on one door is out of circuit the other will not work). Seat controls are independent as are power locks so far as I recall.

Other than that I'd need to look at the book for further suggestions.

KDirk

• 2 weeks later...

I believe I have this one fixed. I ended up pulling the left door panel to get a better look at the wires and found no obvious trouble. Then, I started checking the continuity of the wires at each plug that I had unhooked. Everything tested just fine, and I had no visual of any wires contacting bare metal.

I finally checked the mirrors and found that two of the wires were going to ground. I then took the mirror switch out and checked at the plug. There was nothing going to ground when I unhooked the switch. I checked the switch with an ohmmeter and found that some of the prongs went to ground instead of completing the circuit.

Thinking I had a bad switch, I went and hooked it back up and tried to blow the fuse intentionally, and could not get the fuse to blow, no matter what I did. So now, with everything hooked back up with a helping of dielectric contact grease.

So, I can say that I have no more fuse problems for now. I am concluding that I must be either magical or lucky. :P Everything still works and I have no drain on the battery.

By the way, I don't particularly like working in the doors. The 24 year old plastic didn't like it either, but with the help of industrial double sided tape, I managed to get it all back together. :rolleyes:

post-91942-143143067112_thumb.jpg