Trouble starting after storage

Guest gursey

Guest gursey

Hello. I am ashamed to say that I store my bird (55) outside during the long winter here in Alaska. I get the oil changed, add fuel addiditive, and cover the car and wheels. I take out the battery and never start the car during the cold weather.

This year, the car will not start. The battery is charged, but the car seems to not be getting fuel. I remember reading how many owners do something with the fuel/carb to help it start. I am not very mechanical, but do know how to remove the air cleaner and spray starting fluid into the carb. This has not worked. I have an appointment with a tow truck next week, but wanted to check here before giving up and having it towed to a mechanic. Are there simple things I can try to help the car start. Everything sounds good, but I am certain the engine is not getting fuel.

Thanks for any/all help.

Greg

When you spray the starting fluid into the carb, does the engine try to kick over? I think it should kick over just on the starting fluid even if the gas is not reaching the carb. If there is no difference with the starting fluid I would think you may have an ignition problem. Have you checked for spark?

Jim Yergin

Guest gursey

No. I have not checked for spark. is there a way to check off the spark plug wire, or do I need to remove the plug?

Thank You!

You can do it off the spark plug wire by pulling a wire off a plug and positioning it close to the block while you try and start the engine. You should see a spark jump from the end of the wire to the block. I find it easier to remove a plug and lay the plug on the blosk with the wire attached, turn the engine over and see if the spark plug fires.

Jim Yergin

My first thought is that the ethanol gas has gone bad and blocked the lines, or just won't fire the car. But, somewhere I heard that no ethanol gas is sold in Alaska.....

Fussed at today about my '69 Cutlass outside, in Virginia....but fell better now, outside in Alaska winter has to be tough!

Guest gursey

Ok, I pulled the spark plug wire, and nothing when it turns over. Is there a way to begin figuring out how to do trial and error to narrow down the search for the problem? Is there something that fails more than others during the winter? Or should I just get it towed to a mechanic at this point?

Thank you for all your help. I appreciate this forum.

Greg