Olds selector tranny ID and schematic

Wogden

I have purchased a 57 371 that had a selector tranny attached that I need to go through. So, does anyone have a schematic of the selector tranny that shows a blowup of the various parts for reference. I have tried to find an id chart for this tranny but cannot locate one. The case number is 1175493-2 and on the other side is a code of E1-7 SB2. It does not have the bolt on yoke so I am told it is not a 57 unit. It came with the very rare Ansen floor shifter conversion which I have only seen pics of ever before.

Pic attached of this tranny internals! How all this crap got in there is a mystery. Everything moves but all is covered in a thick goo of what appears to be grit and old oil and this was a sealed tranny!

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Walt

.post-72214-143143052687_thumb.jpg

Here is the info on the Olds manual trans that I was able to acquire over time:

1956-57 M13 B-0-P H-D 3-speed (6-bolt top cover)

1956-57 Heavy Duty 3-speed Standard Shift Transmission.

* Appears to be it? See http://www.pontiacsafari.com/L1Garage/ManualTransmissions/index.htm

Pontiac installed the Buick heavy duty 3-speed transmission in 1956-57. The heavy-duty trans is easily distinguished by it's large physical size and 6-bolt top cover. On a scale of 1-10, with "7" being a Muncie M22, the Heavy-Duty B-O-P selector is rated as an "8"...

The physical size of the sliding gear is ≈ 1", which is probably too big. The 1956-57 Pontiac H-D three-speed was stronger than any other 3-speed ever mass produced, with the exception of the Ford "Top Loader". This trans is nearly unbreakable, but the large size of the gears with their nearly straight-cut teeth, slows shifting @ rpm. I have used this trans behind a 450" JBP motor that produced 485 hp @ rpms. No problems, since the big stroker's power falls off at 5,100...

1958 and Later Heavy Duty 3-speed Standard Shift Transmission.

The Buick trans was superseded in 1958 by the B-W T85, which is not quite as strong. According to John Sawruk, the noise and/or gear whine of the old Buick brought about it's demise. B-W T85s have 22O helix-cut gears, making them quiet as a mouse. One of the differences between M22s and M20-21s is that the Muncie engineers went back to Buick thinking, removing the high-helix gears. So, if you've ever ridden in a car with an M22, they sound a lot like the old Buick trannies...