Chrissy the Chrysler

Guest BUCKSTER

Buckster, I agree with you. You should get credit for saving that car. If you were tearing up a pristine low mile original I might say different but not that car. It is too far gone for a resto but not for what you have in mind.

First off I would fix the original engine if possible. I don't know how bad it is, I am not there. But if the engine is too far gone, go ahead and put in a more modern V8.

One will fit. The main point of interference is the steering box which can't be moved. The solution is to offset the engine an inch or two to the right. There is nothing wrong with doing this. Chrysler did it on some models. On full size Ford vans the engine was offset almost a foot.

This is often done on six cylinder Chrysler products from before 1951. It may not be necessary on your car because of the long engine compartment. You may be able to get clearance by moving the engine ahead a bit. Also, there are different exhaust manifolds and you can use the later mini starter on an older engine.

If you chose a Chev V8 there are less clearance problems. Not sure why, there doesn't look to be that much difference between a Chev and Dodge V8 but somehow there is a little more room.

If you change the engine you have to change the transmission and rear axle.

Front suspension is good as it is. You can get a disc brake conversion but not really necessary for ordinary driving with a small block engine. Another improvement is to relocate the upper shock mounts to the frame. And finally some change to a thicker sway bar off a Jeep SUV.

The rest is fairly self explanatory. You already know about the body, paint, upholstery etc. and can please yourself about that.

One more thing, you will get a more friendly reception and knowledgeable help from the hot rodders over at the HAMB of the Jalopy Journal.

Hokey Ass Message Board - THE H.A.M.B.

Guest BUCKSTER

Well gentleman in a few minutes Chrissy will be going up on four new jackstands . I've got three cans of PB penetrating catalyst a box of storage bags masking tape marking pen and a camera . I'm going to take lots and lots of pictures. Got to start somewhere right . The BUCKSTER

Well gentleman in a few minutes Chrissy will be going up on four new jackstands . I've got three cans of PB penetrating catalyst a box of storage bags masking tape marking pen and a camera . I'm going to take lots and lots of pictures. Got to start somewhere right . The BUCKSTER

Perfect ! As you do these things , you will not have passed the point of no return while you determine which path to take. I would suggest going to as many car shows as possible. This will help tell you where your heart wants you to go. If you come in contact with a person like me , you might even get to drive a similar car. 50-60-70-80-90-100 year old cars each drive very differently from modern cars in interesting ways. Gives you a very fascinating insight into life and it's pace back then. Engineering also in profoundly impressive examples. On the other hand , modifying cars gives you a differen type of joy. My mods are unique creations by me , some more radical than others. No other car in the world drives like them . Built for a specific purpose.There are certain fundamental considerations to adhere to . Spring rate ( rear higher than front ) for example. And on and on. But engine : MOPAR ! Preserves some of the "soul" of the car. Either way you go , don't stop. By the time you are 60% along , you will be a bit of an authority on certain aspects. When you "finish" , you really will have a well rounded skill set . Yes , you will make mistakes. And when done , you will look back and see how you might have done things differently. The next car you do will be a masterpiece ! All kinds of things work this way. Good luck ! - C Carl

Buckster, cars have different types of appeal. Thus you see people not wanting the same car their neighbor has. My opinion is that the Chrysler and DeSoto 4-door sedans from 1946 to the early 1949 models had a look of class about them that a lot of cars never came close to. I don't have any advice for you; I just want to say I admire your choice of a car.

I only made my statement based on the simple cost of items like chrome that can not be done at home. It's all in what you want your end goal to be. If your goal is to have it looking like new again then the chrome will cost you more than 10,000 on this car to do, using what's their now (much of it in the grille). Having the piece is one thing, Having a nice piece to replate is something different. It's all in what you want to achieve in the end and giving you excerpts of our own years of experience to help guide you in a way to meet that end goal while hopefully helping you avoid the mistakes we have already made ourselves. Glad you're saving the car, I as well as others just don't want to see you get burnt out or frustrated along the way as I'm sure more than a few of us , myself included, have.

Buckster, FWIW (for what it's worth) here's my story. My '57 Ford was in the same condition as Chrissy when I got it, and it still is...except that now it runs and I can drive it! What I did was hone the rusty cylinders with the pistons still in place. Then, with the aid of a lot of penetrating oil, a propane torch and a pry bar cautiously used on the ring gear, I got the engine to turn slightly. Then with additional honing and oil, the engine broke free and I was able to assemble it and get it to run. Sure, there a little bit of blow by, and the compression isn't quite what it used to be but it runs good and I can drive it. Total financial outlay was the cost of gaskets, penetrating oil, and a couple propane bottles. There is a huge amount of knowledge and experience on this forum, and many people anxiously willing (myself included) to help see you through to getting this vehicle roadworthy again. I suggest that you peruse some of the other posts on this forum and see what we're all about! Good Luck

Edited by Larry W (see edit history)

Buckster - you are getting great advice and I agree with Chris just above. Planning is a wise thing, I applaud you and will continue to support Chrissy till she's on the road again.

A question for GK1918 - Sam where are you located?

Chuck in Kansas

Unfortunately quite aways about 36 miles so. of Boston and about 20min from Prov RI. town of Dighton Mass. Ironically there is only one other Dighton & thats Dighton Kansas.

Small town like this one. So I stop at a 1940's like pizza joint and tell to girl "so this is what made Judy Garland famous"? she says who's that.?? thats a good one.

sam

This is the most important comment in this whole thread. Get it running first, and the fastest easiest way. Then drive it as you think about what you want to do next.

There are pages and pages of for sale ads for projects that folks lost interest in because they could not drive them, rough or not, and just lost interest in the vehicle!

Thanks, I said that cause I have seen many many solid cars like Bucksters that they went hog wild, lost stuff, got so deep, the car ended in the jaws of death. Bucksters car is

so rare around here it aint funny. I havent seen one of those since they were new. They just don't exist here in the N.E. my ole man was a DeSoto freak last DeSoto I seen

around here was his, a new 1951 Sportsman he bought and traded in 1960, never seen another. I believe Buckster knows what he's doing, but myself I'd give that flathead my

best shot. Nothing like the smooth straight eight power especially with fluid drive. They very forgiving running like a watch just saying

This is just like the one I had 30 + years ago. Even the Highlander Scottish plaid. Mine was a little ruff and rustier. It really does not mater which parts car you use for parts, or which one you use to restore. It is always good to have parts, or parts cars of the same type and model if you can find them. Solider on Buckster. :cool: Dandy Dave!

Hi Buckster I normally do not post comments but something with this post has generated a comment. I am glad you have found a car that inspires you and I hope you take lots of pictures and post your progress as often as possible. I love reading and looking at the pictures of people bringing something old and tired that most people would consider scrap back to life and beautiful. Like several have said you will spend more time and money on this project then it will ever be worth but if your are like me that does not matter. I gather this may be a project that once is done will not be sold. I have read about restorations that were in far worse condition then yours appears to be in and end up beautiful.

In regards to your straight 8. I hope you try to bring it back to life. I have seen pictures and restoration stories that appear to be in far worse condition then yours that were rebuilt. My 2 cents would be to find an engine shop were the machinist will take the time and answer your questions and guide you through the process before you make any major decisions on what needs to be done and replaced. You never know you may only need an over bore and new pistons and rings.

Any way take your time search the net look at Ebay daily and i hope to read about your progress weather they are small large.

Guest BUCKSTER
Hi Buckster I normally do not post comments but something with this post has generated a comment. I am glad you have found a car that inspires you and I hope you take lots of pictures and post your progress as often as possible. I love reading and looking at the pictures of people bringing something old and tired that most people would consider scrap back to life and beautiful. Like several have said you will spend more time and money on this project then it will ever be worth but if your are like me that does not matter. I gather this may be a project that once is done will not be sold. I have read about restorations that were in far worse condition then yours appears to be in and end up beautiful.

In regards to your straight 8. I hope you try to bring it back to life. I have seen pictures and restoration stories that appear to be in far worse condition then yours that were rebuilt. My 2 cents would be to find an engine shop were the machinist will take the time and answer your questions and guide you through the process before you make any major decisions on what needs to be done and replaced. You never know you may only need an over bore and new pistons and rings.

Any way take your time search the net look at Ebay daily and i hope to read about your progress weather they are small large.

Thank you JP 75 I'm glad you Wade in. And no Chrissy one never be sold, she has made her spot in my family and she will be handed down. I plan on a lot of pictures and a lot of before and after. Like you I like to see the ugly get turned into the pretty. Besides I'll probably have a lot of what is that moments. The pictures I have posted of Chrissy is definitely at her worst so I can only go up from here. I've got the Pistons soaking, I will take her to a machine shop, get her checked out and go from there. Thank you all, The. BUCKSTER

Buckster, the choice of machine shop is important. Find a shop run by old guys, not young hats-backward 'tuners'. A shop not accustomed to rebuilding old engines won't want the job or have the expertise to do it. But the machining will break down into simple machining tasks.

If you can strip the engine down, the shop can measure the cylinder bores, identify the piston sizes, measure any wear on the crankshaft and advise whether the old valves can be reused. The engine looks like it'll need a rebore and new pistons. Someone here may have a set of oversize pistons, or a place like EGGE may have some. The same for other engine parts.

If you get the machine shop to do the machining and you reassemble the motor, you'll save a lot of money. Looking at the photos, I'd expect it to require a rebore, new pistons and rings, new bearings and maybe a crank grind, new timing chain and gears, maybe some new valves and recut valve seats. I rebuilt a six cylinder last year, and that lot cost about $2500. Reassembly is a piece of cake if you have a few tools and lots of time. Oh, and it's huge fun too.

Hey BUCKSTER, no recommendations from me, except do as you wish..... Now, having said that, I am one of those guys that just loves all kinds of mechanical stuff. I have had 146 cars and trucks so far, lots of motorcycles, etc., and normally think the only reason vehicles are made is so I can finish them properly to my "likes". I have always either threw 6 cylinder engines away and stuffed a V-8 in 'em, or got rid of the whole car. A 1938 Packard 2 door sedan changed my perspective completely ! It was just a six, seems like it was rated about 100 hp, but that rascal was an absolute dream to drive and ride in. No, it wouldn't win many drag races, but what a superb, smooth, satisfying machine. I can't help but think your long 8 might be a bit like that or better, but as one of the guys above said, keep us informed no matter which path you take. Those elderly Mopars are SO cool !

Guest BUCKSTER
Wonder how the bones got in there. Looking at the pictures the car looks solid.

NOW THAT WAS FUNNY. The BUCKSTER