Removing Scratches From Chrome?

70 Electra

Is it possible to "finesse" the scratches out of chrome bumpers like you would do on a car's paint?<P>I am working on a friends car (mid-sixties) that has some fine, hazy scratches in a few spots on the bumper. Looks like someone used steel wool to remove a bumper sticker.<P>You can't feel the scratches with your fingernail, but they create a hazy look, kinda like angel hair.<P>Is it possible to remove them by polishing with progressively finer abrasives? If so, what might you suggest? (Thought I'd ask first, since I don't want to make it worse!)

Greg: My thoughts are you would be better off contacting a reputable plater.<P>Possibly they could polish them out. If you have no experience, I would not experiment so as not to make it worse. The actual chrome finish is very thin. The tin and antimony is the base, of which, you do not want to risk gouging/wearing into or a complete re-chrome may have to be accomplished.<P>Just my 2 cents.<P>Regards, Peter J. wink.gif" border="0

I used to work at cadillac in Detroit before they tore it down.We had a plating department and scratches on bumpers were buffed out with a high speed buffing wheel and the bumper was held with assistance from a balanceing hoist.The compounds used were not abrasive,more like a grease but more often than not they got replated