Model A generator output

Guest 36chev

Guest 36chev

Hello,<P>Are there recommended output settings for a 1930 Model A Ford generator? In other words, a certain number of amps and volts at specified rpm's? <P>If there are, I would appreciated knowing what they are.<P>I'm taking my brother's A generator to a local rebuilder and thought it might help to know the specs.<P>Thanks in advance!<P>Best regards,<P>Joel

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Having no voltage regulator, it will probably put out 15 volts if there's no load on it (not recommended. It will burn it up). With the generator installed in the car with the battery connected (thereby putting a load on it), adjust the third brush to give maybe 5 amps on the ammeter unless you intend to drive much with the lights on. If so, bump it on up to maybe 10 amps. Beware that running at this increased output can boil the battery if you run without the lights on.<P>Note that I'm going from memory here. It really isn't that critical. You are shooting for a charge rate that will keep your battery charged, but not overcharge and boil it.

Guest 36chev

Hal,<P>Thanks for the quick response. The Model A in question is more of a driver than a show car (and occassionaly driven at night), so he may opt for the higher output. <P>--Joel

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

That's fine. Just keep an eye on your battery. Check the electrolyte often. If it is boiling it out, reduce your output.