28 Packard cam grind-what info does shop need?

critterpainter

My weekend project (a 1928 Packard 6 engine) is ready to have its cam sent out for a regrind. I am planning to send it to American Cam in Los Angeles. What info do they need and where can I find this info if necessary?<BR> Should I tell them the bore and stroke, and ask if they could "improve" the grind to give me more "top end power" I could pull stumps all day at the moment but at higher rpm this power fades away.<BR> confused.gif" border="0 <BR>Bill

You might want some "overlap" especially a longer exhaust stroke, breathing was the one weak spot with '20's and '30's engines, they were very understressed.<BR>When I had my '27 Buick cam reground the guy asked me for bore and stroke, compression ratio and a "valve chart" which indicated the degree of opening and closing in relation to piston travel, ask the shop what they need from you.<BR>If they have experience with early engines that's good, if not you may want to find someone who does, ask the guys in the Packard club who they use if you have any doubt.