Sign in to follow this  
Taylormade

Fast and Loud - Please!

Of all the shows concerning car restoration/fix-em up I can really only relate to Wheeler Dealer. Even if it does appear Ed China works for free! There is plenty of showing how to and accepting the fact that some repairs need to be farmed out. It just appears more realist for someone like me. Not a endless trail of $$$ that you see on Gas Monkey.

Forgot to mention Fantom Garage. Neat shop, anyone ever been there? I'd sweep the floors just to hang out there! Ed Dade City,Fl

Seriously, you are in the business and fakery sets your teeth on edge? That must be something like being a pastry chef with diabetes, or an ultimate fighting ref who faints at the sight of blood.

Have you ever thought of getting into some other line of work?

Thanks for the kind post, Rusty. I guess you believe every car dealer is a crook, every businessman a cheat, every restoration shop an overpriced scam and every filmmaker produces nothing but fake garbage. We recently returned from Africa after a six week shoot documenting the devastation of AIDS on the continent. I'm very proud of the work we did there. I'm also proud of the work I did on the PBS Nova series, including a two hour show on building the first cable suspension bridge across the Mississippi. I filmed scenes in a steel shaft eighty feet down in the river and shot from the top of a 380 foot bridge tower. I have no intention of changing professions and have enjoyed almost every minute of my 43 year career. The technical people on these car shows do good work, sometimes they are not responsible for what a director or producer does with the footage. I have quit shoots were I've felt the production was heading in the wrong direction.

I don't know what you do for a living, but I certainly would not waste my time denigrating it in a personal attack, nor would I want to.

It has been said that a person's mind is more active when he sleeps

than when he is watching television.

Wow ! This thread has been a real heads-up for me . Tired , old , failing eyesight , inability to concentrate as when younger , I also have wasted too much time on TV . I have also squandered precious time on some of these shows . Been about a month without TV now , and getting much more done ! Reading , if we are still able , is far more valuable . Talking books can help . I tried getting through Steven Hawkins "Brief History Of Time" a number of years ago . As does almost anyone , I hit a wall at one point . Bought the talking book and listened to it on a road trip . Able to rewind when lost , I got carried through to the end . Very worthwhile ! ( sure wish my ancient memory had more retentive capacity ) . Now as OP has defended valuable TV , I couldn't possibly agree more ! There is a huge amount of fascinating content , factual and entertaining . The trick is to draw the line , and eliminate drivel and ads . I think I will try to go another month without , and try to censor if I fall back into it . Seems , as you all corroborate , that now more than ever , TV is mostly a wasteland . HEADS-UP , friends . -Carl

If someone was to make a parody of these shows, or if someone actually IS, how would we know?

Friday night PBS ran a good special on Judy Garland. I watched it. I'm still reading Probabilistic Models of the Brain. That fodder will have to wait.

Bernie

If someone was to make a parody of these shows, or if someone actually IS, how would we know?

Hey , Bernie : you flat nailed it there ! The more I think about this , the funnier it seems ! Got a few tears of laughter right now ! I guess that shows I have already wasted too much time on that "reality" ( ? ) rot . Thanks , man ! - C Carl

I agree with Pomeroy41144:

"Reality TV is garbage--pure and simple. Totally contrived and geared for the lowest common denominator. Reality TV has ruined once great channels like the History Channel, Discovery and A&E. I will not watch this BS. Do you self a favor--instead of watching this crap and encouraging the cable networks to produce more, go out and work on your real car. No contrived arguments, no drama, no bs time deadlines."

Hmmmmm , yeah , thanks for the kick in the right direction , guys . I have a real nice '24 Cad 7 pass touring which resents any time I spend away from it . Needs to get on the road this Spring & Summer . Should be a group of "Televidiots Annonymous" . Call a member if you are tempted to lapse . Get that needed kick . If all goes well , I might be wandering around Portland Swap with the usual pizza box on my back . This time it will be looking for a FLAT AMBER/YELLOW GLASS DRUM BUCKET FOG LIGHT FOR MY '27 CADILLAC , AND TOP RESTS FOR MY '24 CAD . Surely no TV for that duration . Very motivating comments here . TV . Watching " Someone getting your kicks for you " . DO IT WHILE WE STILL CAN ! - Carl

????? Taylormade you are the one complaining TV is phony not me. I know it is phony that is why I quit watching it a long time ago. You say some of it (a few documentaries) is not phony. That may be true but even documentary makers have a viewpoint and some don't mind twisting the facts to get their point across.

The fact that it is phony does not stop me from enjoying TV on occasion, it just stops me from believing everything I see. This does not bother me as much as it seems to bother you.

Okay, I surrender. I agree with ever post above, no matter what was said, and will never complain again. Must be the cold weather that's turning me into an old grump. Sorry, I have to leave my computer now and chase those neighbor kids off my front lawn, the little...

I think the sad side of exploiting a legitimate business, in my mind, is the two shops, one near Buffalo and one near Rochester, that I chose not to stop in because I didn't want to risk dealing with the personalities portrayed on TV. I spend money, I didn't stop. Someone lost a bag of groceries.

And if the legitimate guy lost the groceries............... Darwin said it ain't supposed to work that way.

Anyone interested in a bumper sticker "Reality TV, Survival of the Lamest!" I'll get some made. It is exploitative but I know a print shop run by midgets and I can film the stickers being made.

1924 Cadillac and staged reality, huh? How about 1923?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUnlRU7M83k

. I just imagine the 2015 update on that one!

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

I agree with Pomeroy41144:

"Reality TV is garbage--pure and simple. Totally contrived and geared for the lowest common denominator. Reality TV has ruined once great channels like the History Channel, Discovery and A&E. I will not watch this BS. Do you self a favor--instead of watching this crap and encouraging the cable networks to produce more, go out and work on your real car. No contrived arguments, no drama, no bs time deadlines."

Couldn't have said it better! It's pretty bad when they show a car being restored by multiple guys, two installing the interior and one buffing the paint splattering compound everyway in sight with the doors opened. I'd love to see any of these cars finished. This is what the hobby is becoming. The public watches this and thinks our cars are done the same sad way..........pure crap!

Forgot to mention Fantom Garage. Neat shop, anyone ever been there? I'd sweep the floors just to hang out there! Ed Dade City,Fl

If you mean fantom works then yes I have been there and there is a lot of reality in that show which would explain the lack of interest in said show.

The reality of gas monkey type shows is in the workmanship and they never put the cameras in a position to see much of that. Sometimes the cameras do catch misaligned fenders and hoods on what they are calling a finished car.

Nobody mentioned the highly skilled staff of "Desert Classics" and the World's Largest Junk Yard that turns out a full restoration in a week.

So here’s one I noticed the other day on one of the how to car shows where they sell products. The guy who is pretending to be a car know it all was packing wheel bearings. As the camera pans in on the bearings I see that the guy’s hands were dirty and he is not wearing rubber gloves. I try to do things the right way and show my kids and other young people the right way and here’s this idiot on TV doing packing dirt into the new bearings.

So here’s one I noticed the other day on one of the how to car shows where they sell products. The guy who is pretending to be a car know it all was packing wheel bearings. As the camera pans in on the bearings I see that the guy’s hands were dirty and he is not wearing rubber gloves. I try to do things the right way and show my kids and other young people the right way and here’s this idiot on TV doing packing dirt into the new bearings.
Until this recent obsession with rubber gloves, millions upon millions of bearings were packed with bare hands. I've done hundreds myself and none failed, that I am aware of and my hands are still intact. Greasy hands are not, necessarily, dirty.

Just the opinion of another idiot

I have packed bearings without gloves.

I make sandwiches without gloves.

I don't sanitize shopping cart handles.

I am a bad influence in today's world.

I watched the same show and the guys hands were filthy. He should have been wearing gloves. I think that was the point Benjamin j was making. You all are pretty quick to criticize forum members for people who can't read.

Do you guys pump your own gas? Do you wear a glove? Ever wonder were the customers before you had their hands? Never got a cold this winter, I credit the glove. Bob

I watched the same show and the guys hands were filthy. He should have been wearing gloves. I think that was the point Benjamin j was making. You all are pretty quick to criticize forum members for people who can't read.
Actually, First Post Joe, I can read. Quite well as a matter of fact. I was not, necessarily, criticizing anyone. Just making a point, as pointless as it may be.

As to the obsession with gloves and the germophobia that runs rampant these days, I'm like 29Chrysler. I don't sweat the small stuff. I am 67 years old and have never, not once, had the flu, food poisoning or any other germy diseases. I did have cancer but I doubt gloves would have helped:)

Until this recent obsession with rubber gloves, millions upon millions of bearings were packed with bare hands. I've done hundreds myself and none failed, that I am aware of and my hands are still intact. Greasy hands are not, necessarily, dirty.

Just the opinion of another idiot

I have packed bearings without gloves.

I make sandwiches without gloves.

I don't sanitize shopping cart handles.

I am a bad influence in today's world.

LOL.......ditto and then some........QUITE a bit actually....... :rolleyes: