Columbia Dual Ratio Rear-end for circa '36 Auburn

I recently acquired a barn find '31 Chrysler CD8 Roadster which was "rodded" in the early fifties with a '47 Cadillac Flathead V8, Lasalle transmission and an Auburn Dual Ratio Vacuum operated rear-end. Thinking I may take car back to original Chrysler specs, and am exploring whether the rear-end might be of some value to make my decision easier. Anyone know what one of these may sell for. It is complete, seems to work fine, has hydraulic brakes and cable operated emergency brakes on back wheels. No rust anywhere, has been sitting on this car in a garage last 60 years or so. Complete with lines to front and valve control device. I'm thinking it may be worth $3,000+? post-66253-143143026262_thumb.jpg

post-66253-143143026245_thumb.jpg

Aren't there minor differences between the units for Auburn 6, 8, and 12 cylinder cars? We had one of these 10 years ago - traded it for some Stutz parts - and I remember the guy we traded it to looking at something on the carrier to determine which line of Auburn it was from originally. You may want to try the ACD Club website guys for more details. It it's for an 8 or a 12 it may be worth more than if it's for a 6.

I went to the ACD Website, but I understand you have to join (at a price) in order to post a question. Perhaps if you are a member, could pose it for me? There is likely an identification # somewhere on the unit, I'll have to look. I was assuming that the Auburn's all had same rear-end in '36. My Dad had a '36 Auburn Coupe, Lycoming Straight 8 I think, before the war, stored while away in service, and eventually sold it before he left the Navy in '44. Worst decision he says he ever made about cars, best car he ever drove. It's possible this rear-end came from that car, as there were very few Auburns around, and the gent who rebuilt/rodded this Chrysler car in early 50's knew my dad.

Auburn used Dual Ratio rear ends from 1932 thru 1936. There are several different ratios. If you go to the opposite side of the housing from where the vacuum canister is located between two housing bolts you will find a stamping in the housing that will tell you the rear ratio. Such as 51x10,43x10, etc. The lower numerically the better. Dual Ratio rears can be the weak point for these cars and often require repairs. Asking prices at Hershey are usually $1800. to $2000 and quite often go home with the seller. This is because of the unknown condition of the unit.

Cordially Mike

Mike, I think if you put it in High and leave it there you are probably good forever? In my first post I was going to mention they don't exactly sell like hot cakes but since I have one sitting in my garage I thought that was against my best interests.

Thanks to all of you. I will check the unit later today and report on ratio info. Short of running it in a vehicle, is there a somewhat straight forward means of determining condition. I assume removing rear cover plate and examining gears etc will be a tell tale. When the '31 Chrysler Roadster it was installed in was laid up in late 60's, unit was running well. but engine had developed an overheating problem, and PO's never got car running again.

I am not familiar with pre 1934 Dual Ratio's. There is a early and late DR the late style started in 2-35. there is a date code and the ratio is stamped in the 3rd member. Sixes and eights are the same but the axle 1/2 shafts are smaller and the brake backing plates differ. If you need more info send me an email, I have pictures depicting identification and how to identify broken internals that are too large to upload here.

Just to clear up the matter of the ACD web site. You do not have to be a member to post on the site but you do have to register. I also should mention that above the Dual Ratio casting mark between the two bolts you should find a stamping of the date of manufacture like 4x34, 5x35 which stands for month and year. The ring and pinion are usually not the problem. It is the planetary system. Removing the cover won't tell you the condition of that, only total disassembly.

Cordially Mike

Mike, I think if you put it in High and leave it there you are probably good forever? In my first post I was going to mention they don't exactly sell like hot cakes but since I have one sitting in my garage I thought that was against my best interests.

Al,

That is the common perception, but I use low range now & then, when I need it. Haven't had any major issues with it in 18 years.

Al,

That is the common perception, but I use low range now & then, when I need it. Haven't had any major issues with it in 18 years.

It is nice to use if pulling out into traffic, particularly if it is up a hill as the end of our road is.

Curti: I dropped you an email. Thanks for any info you can provide. As noted therein, no stampings on flange opposite side from vacuum gizmo, part number on housing (above gizmo) appears to be #52166, if that is any help, not easily read.