Not a complete $20 bill con

Dan Marx

This past week end I was a vendor at the Pee Dee Street Rodders Run to the Sun in Myrtle beach. When I got home I tallied up the money. I found one half of a $20.00 bill. Some one had given me a $20 that I had assumed was folded in half and I just put it in my pocket. This was first for me.

Dan

Guest AlCapone

​More often than not it is when several of the same denomination are being given as payment or given back as change. Wayne

I've seen $1 bills with just the end trimmed off and replaced with a $20 strip, most people look at the face on a single bill but when part of a stack you generally just check the numbers and move on. I have never seen a large bill like this, I think these scammers assume $20 is the highest they can go without anyone really giving the funds a once over.

Guest Gary Hearn

I bought a house 2 weeks ago and instinctively lifted up the front mat. To my surprise there was a wet, folded $20 bill. I only had 3/4 of it, the other piece was stuck to the mat. Think I will frame it...

If it's more than 50% of the bill, you can go to your bank and they'll replace it with a whole bill.....if it's less than 50%, then the other guy is on the way to his bank and you're out of luck.....

I had a similar incident 12 months ago when visiting the USA. I took the note to the bank teller, and he looked up the serial number. His words"Because you are the first to bring the note in you get a nice new note. Whoever has the other part misses out." The serial number must be all there and the note not signed off for destruction.

The "more than 50% rule" applies to a bill that's cut or torn. Special rules can apply to bills that are less than 50%, if it's easy to see where the othe part went.....for example, a stack of bills, burned more than 50%, but in a situation where the ashes of the remainder are evident ( burned in a closed metal box, for example)... The Treasury has the rules!

Dandy Dave, I believe in that example you'd lose your ash......

LOL.. Yeah, That is what I figured. Better to keep the big money buried in Mason Jars in the Ground. ;) Dandy Dave!