57 T-Bird Window installation

Guest Deacon1

Guest Deacon1

I am near the end of a complete restoration on my 57 T-bird over 8 years now. I took my windows apart and now need the sequence of the installation. There crank style, not electric. I need to know if the wing window assembly goes first or what sequence the regulator or the door latch goes. Basically where should I start after my parts have been reconditioned???? Aloha Deacon PS Making my wife happy.

Deacon1,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. I have moved your post from the Classic Car Club Technical Questions forum to the appropriate Thunderbird forum. Hopefully you will find someone here who can help you. If not, perhaps asking in the AACA Technical Questions forum might help you find someone who can help.

Hi Deacon1,

I have not done the complete job, but if you are starting with a build up from the door shell then I would start with the door latch assembly first. Then I would put in the front (wing window assembly) and rear window channel assemblies next. I would then put in the door lock actuator mechanism and the window crank mechanism. The glass and the scissors that raise it would go in last. You will have to do a number of adjustments to be sure that everything is operating properly. Take a look at the 1957 shop manual for that information.

Regards,

Lew

I am currently replacing the window channels in my 55 (power windows), and the door glass. Lew has it right. One tip, install the rollers and clips on the window channel assembly first, even if it is in the door. The scissor mechanism will then "pop" in. The shafts are tapered. You only have to pull the clips to remove them, making the install much easier.