Possible scam by third party using this site.

GraniteBayBob

I recently have had several Want to Buy items that I did not find a seller for quickly. Then I received a Private Message from a party that stated, "they have the exact part I was looking for and in excellent condition."

I responded by requesting a photo of their item. They said they could not upload a photo and that their Pay Pal account was maxed out so I would have to send a Money Gram.

This sent up some red flags for me and I requested another photo. None was received.

This same exact scenario has happen twice now and I felt I should bring it to the sites attention.

It was not by the same person and they were both located overseas.

Would not like to see a third party spoil such a great site.

Thank you

That would be an obvious scammer. Please give me the forum user names that sent the Private Messages and I will be happy to ban the users from the site.

Additionally, anyone who receives a suspected Scam PM can hit the report button on the lower left corner of the PM and it will alert the moderators to the problem right away so we can deal with it.

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)

Something similar happened to me while having a WTB ad in the buy/sell forum. I received the following from screen name tanthony: PCV valve Searching for a hex base non threaded PCV valve for my 1965 C code 28

We're currently parting out and clearing the garage with lots of original parts for sale. A number to call you is very important. You can e-mail me on

Cheers,

Anthony Thompson

United Kingdom

I sent an email to him w/ no reply. Possibly another scammer out there.

Matt

I had one a few months ago. I played with him for a few weeks just to waste his time and think he had a big fish in the line. I would get right to the part where I was ready to "send money" then I would ask another question. He finally caught on and stopped answering my questions. It was the same thing. "No pictures but it is the exact part you are looking for", "Paypal is down but you can send Money Gram and it is secure". He has already been banned from the site but it could very well be the same person posting under different names and IP addresses. I have a hard time believing they would have much luck phishing on this site. Antique car people tend to be a bit older, wiser and not naive enough o fall for such scams.

There is a new seller on here that I am suspect of.

However if he does indeed send me the photos promised I may bite. I asked for pics with todays newspaper with the date visible.

Its only $140, but I still don't want to pad some scammers pocket.

Interestingly the same photo is on Ebay right now and I asked why he couldn't accept Paypal privately but could on an Ebay auction.

I may hit the 'buy it now'. It could be a different seller but the ID is similar.

Guest AlCapone

A good idea is to report the message to the moderators immediately. It is also prudent and wise to have no communication as you stand a good chance of exposing yourself to a virus. The game you play may end up being to your detriment. Wayne

A very common scam. Happens to people advertising in Hemmings, on Craigslist, even in some smaller car club magazines. Glad you didn't get caught up in it Matt.

Terry

There is a new seller on here that I am suspect of.

However if he does indeed send me the photos promised I may bite. I asked for pics with todays newspaper with the date visible.

Its only $140, but I still don't want to pad some scammers pocket.

Interestingly the same photo is on Ebay right now and I asked why he couldn't accept Paypal privately but could on an Ebay auction.

I may hit the 'buy it now'. It could be a different seller but the ID is similar.

Your scammer probably just found the photo on ebay via google search.

This has noted before. One time a person looking for parts was sent a (web) photo of his own car that was described "as being parted out".

Over the last month or so there have been a lot of new sign ups to this site (aaca.org) 99 out of 100 are not genuine.

Like http://forums.aaca.org/members/oscarschoe/ Click "about now" and the vcard.

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

A couple of years ago, an eBay seller had a picture of my truck, sitting on my son's trailer, hitched to my pickup, in front of my barn, listed for sale. I sent him a private message and he argued it was his truck and I didn't know what I was talking about. In a second message he said his truck was just like mine. I reported him to eBay.

Guest AlCapone
A couple of years ago, an eBay seller had a picture of my truck, sitting on my son's trailer, hitched to my pickup, in front of my barn, listed for sale. I sent him a private message and he argued it was his truck and I didn't know what I was talking about. In a second message he said his truck was just like mine. I reported him

I was contacted 5 years ago and was told my car was for sale on EBay. My car had appeared on the front page of a national newspaper and he had taken the photo from there. He apologized that his camera was not taking good pictures. At that time it was within one day of ending. Obviously I contacted ebay and the scammer banned of course. Wayne

Maybe it was the scammers who started covering up license plates in photos, so the owner wouldn't recognize their car.

Bernie

Legitimate sellers also cover their plates. When I posted a car on Craigslist I did that. No reason to make it any easier for strangers to know where you live.

Your scammer probably just found the photo on ebay via google search.

This has noted before. One time a person looking for parts was sent a (web) photo of his own car that was described "as being parted out".

Over the last month or so there have been a lot of new sign ups to this site (aaca.org) 99 out of 100 are not genuine.

Like http://forums.aaca.org/members/oscarschoe/ Click "about now" and the vcard.

I was suspicious because the same picture was on Ebay and the ad here had no mention of that.

I have received the photos that I asked for with the item being laid out on todays newspaper with the date visible. So it was my paranoia is all.

I have now explained to him how to invoice me thru paypal. We shall see how that goes.

The offer here was same price with shipping included and the Ebay ad would have cost the shipping, If he will accept Paypal I will have some protection.

I want to thank the moderator here for his concerns and help in checking the sellers credibility. These forums are well moderated.

Sometimes I don't like being edited, but over all a job well done.