Diagnosis help

Car is a 48 Packard (327 CID) straight 8 with Carter 2 bbl. Here is the symptom and what I have done:<P>When cold started and normal idle it is fine with no smoke from the tailpipe. But after warming up if I hit the gas, i get a cloud of black/blue smoke. <P>I checked air/fuel ratio, timing, dwell and all are within spec. Checked compression and it is also within spec. Also noticed plugs carbon foul within a couple of hundred miles. I use premium gas in the car.<P>Any thoughts?

It sounds as though even having checked the A/F ratio, there is a problem in that area. If you're carbon fouling, it sounds like you're not getting enough air, or too much fuel. <P>Is the choke opening fully and staying open during operation? Can you jury-rig it to be positively open for a test? <P>Are the jets of the correct size? Maybe someone in the past hogged them out. <P>Is the air cleaner clean and not restrictive? Again, maybe you could leave it off for a brief road test. <P>Look down into the throat of the carb with the engine running. Is fuel leaking internally into the throat past say, a bad gasket?<P>These are just things that come to mind; may help or not. Let us know your progress.

ok, here we go agin, what spark plugs r u using?????? Need number. my guess is that u have champions or ngk or some other offbeat plug in the engine. If u have AC's then the numberis probably 43 or lower. Easy things first!

HI Chris!!!!! i just noticed your name and remebered it from the old chat room!!!! Hows everything going??

BillP: Car is jetted to factory, no leaking gaskets. Choke opens fully. Air cleaner is the oil bath unit and I clean it annually. I will take your suggestion about leaving it off for a road test.<P>PackardV8: Yes, its good to meet up with another from the old room. Still miss that one. Now, on spark plugs I am currently using AC M-8's which is what AC tells me are the only plug for the car (original 10mm plugs were AC 104, Champion Y-4A or Autolite P-4). I did notice that the originals are all "cold" plugs, but the modern equivalent replacements seem to be "hot" plugs. I just ordered a set of Autolite 3136's to give a try.<P>Something else did occur to me. I have a "generic universal fit" new 6V coil since original Autolite's are very expensive. Could this have something to do with it?<p>[ 05-02-2002: Message edited by: Chris NJ ]

Chris,<P>How many miles are on your engine?<P>Some black smoke on acceleration (particularly heavy accel.) is not necessarily unusual; but blue smoke might indicate wear: possibly in the rings and valve guides.<P>How does the engine run otherwise? Is the performance decent or does it sound like it's "loading-up" on acceleration? Are the plugs just "sooty" in appearance, or are they getting fouled and shorting out?<P>Final question: how long do you drive it for, and how often? <BR>Cars that just get the "short Sunday drive to church" and don't get warmed -up tend to be running "cold" and probably get loaded-up with carbon quickly.<P>A good twenty-thirty minute drive once a week or month can help keep things clean.<P>I doubt that the coil has much to do with your situation; but stranger things have happened.

Frank: To answer your questions: I have 89K original miles; drive about 5 miles each way to church only during spring, summer and fall. Car gets stored for winter. About once a month during driving season I take it on a 25 - 30 minute spin up the highway.<P>This weekend I was changing the plugs and found that 3 of the spark plug wires were loose. And I mean you could move them around on the top of the spark plug. I don't know how this happened since I always make sure the connections are tight and the wires go on with a resounding "click". The plug wires are "straight on" connectors, but now I am thinking about putting 90 degree ends on them after finding this. Anyone else ever encounter this? <P>With the new plugs it runs fine (even better with the wire ends securely on the plugs. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Chris,<P>Sounds like a combination (or a conspiracy) of things: the loose plug wires don't help, plus the mileage is a little high, and the short trips all put together probably account for your "smokage".<P>I'm not a Packard expert (unfortunately!), but if I'm not mistaken, Packards had final drive ratios in the 4:1 area, which is a bit towards the "high" side, which means that 89,000 miles is more like 100k to 120k miles on one of our later cars form the '60s on up.<BR>Most of the old vehicles I've had from the '40-'50s, once they were past 50,000 miles, the engines were getting tired; they would run ok, but would show some blue smoke, and heavy "panting" from the breather pipe, etc.<BR>The worst was a 235 Chevy six in an old truck my grandfather had: the engine had about 120,000 miles on it, and would oil-foul a new set of plugs in about 30 minutes!<P>So, as long as you're not fouling plugs to where they mis-fire, and you can still see the car behind you, I wouldn't worry about the smoke- consider it part of the car's charm.<P>If it makes you feel better, at 89,000 miles, the engine in my '41 De Soto (a 228 cid flat-head six) is tired enough that when I pull a long hill, the cabin fills up with exhaust smoke which is getting blown past the rings and out the breather pipe! This is in addition to what's going out the tailpipe! wink.gif" border="0 <P>Enjoy!