38 Chrysler for sale by dealer

scott12180

There's a '38 Chrysler Imperial for sale on eBay at the moment by a midwest dealer. The dealer does a very good job representing the car through many photographs as well as its restoration history. It's a very handsome car and really gave me pause to think about owning it.

But then I watched his video about the car. The beginning was a false start with a barely audible obscene utterance, which was mildly humorous. But in the end, there's a scene where a foul mouthed teenager gets into the car with his skateboard saying a clear obscenity about someone before driving off.

I don't have a very good opinion of many dealers, but this was not only a blemish on the dealer but on dealers in general. What kind of customer are they looking for? I can't believe any reputable dealer would allow this to be part of a presentation.

I watched the video. It absolutely hilarious! It surely got posted without someone important reviewing it first. All of the fancy video equipment in the world is worth very little if they don't bother to edit the video before publishing it. I have to think that skate board guy will be looking for work soon. All of that aside, the Imperial looks to me to be a very nicely detailed beauty, but one can't substitute a video for first hand inspection. Overdrive, clock, radio and heater look to be all factory, from my quick glimpse. We are all different, but, for my part, I simply couldn't consider a serious bid on it without seeing it in person. I suppose, on the other hand, some trusted and impartial third party's opinion might be enough to assuage my fears. Which side of twenty thousand dollars do you imagine they're hoping to get for it?

...We are all different, but, for my part, I simply couldn't consider a serious bid on it without seeing it in person. I suppose, on the other hand, some trusted and impartial third party's opinion might be enough to assuage my fears.

Even if I wanted the car really bad after seeing that video I would NEVER trust that dealer now. Perhaps if I looked the car over in person thoroughly, I'd consider buying it, but after that obscene video there's no way I'd let that dealer make one dollar on the sale from me. That sort of thing deserves a boycott of all their cars.

I am disappointed because for a short time I truly gave serious consideration to the car. It bothers me alot why someone would sell their car to a dealer before trying to sell it privately. Posting it here is free, after all.

I wonder who really owns that dealership? Is he a responsible man who lacks the ability to hire responsible employees? Or is he a jerk as well?

Absolutely beautiful car represented in partially bad taste. The dealer should have done a better and more classy video. He even calls it a 1936 near the end of the video. A little editing would have helped.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Geez, guys, don't you get that this video was accidentally posted before it was reviewed and edited by the bosses? It will be deleted and or edited as soon as someone points out their mistake. I don't have any feelings positive or negative about these people, but you can tell that they didn't get to be the size they are by insulting the tastes and sensibilities of their potential customers.

I just checked Ebay for a 1938 Chrysler and found one where: "This video has been removed by the user". Shucky-gosh-darn-dag-nab-it, I'd have liked to have seen it, because it sounded like something directly out of the movie, "Used Cars", starring Curt Russell (and others). If you haven't seen than movie, it is uproariously funny, but if you're offended by four-letter words, don't bother.

Cheers,

Grog

Just a small note here. I got in touch with the seller and told them about our disdain on the video. Here was their response....

Dear 31dodger,

We apologize for the video. We take pride in our cars and how we present them. I can only apologize to you, and make sure you realize we will make the necessary corrections to the video. Please let your online community know we are aware of the problem and are working to correct it. Thank you again for making us aware of this, and have a great day.

- motoexotica

I'm still puzzled that you guys thought that the video was deliberately posted with all of that ridiculous content.

I'm sure it wasn't posted on purpose by the seller. That is why I let him know about it. That is why it's gone.

Guest AlCapone

Totally unprofessional. You have to wonder about the business ethics. I wouldn't buy a cup of coffee from that dealer let alone a 50 K car. Wayne

I just checked Ebay for a 1938 Chrysler and found one where: "This video has been removed by the user". Shucky-gosh-darn-dag-nab-it, I'd have liked to have seen it, because it sounded like something directly out of the movie, "Used Cars", starring Curt Russell (and others). If you haven't seen than movie, it is uproariously funny, but if you're offended by four-letter words, don't bother.

Cheers,

Grog

Grog, I know what part you're referring to. While that had some really offensive language in it, it really was funny.

I don't know these guys or the car and don't really have anything to do with any of this, but I think it's unfair to tar and feather the dealership in its entirety because of one mistake. I know I've made plenty, but maybe I'm the only one here who has screwed up before--mistakes happen. Getting all indignant because an underling either posted the video before it was ready, a soon-to-be ex-employee did something malicious, or some other technical snafu happened, is a little extreme, don't you think? If this dealer is like others (including me), he uses a master database that manages the content on his web page, advertising venues, eBay, and everywhere else, and it's likely that the video was posted to that database and then someone pushed the button to publish the car all over the web. Automation being what it is, the computer took the existing video, ready or not, and put it out there. A mistake, but hardly a malicious one or something that should make you question the dealer's ethics or intent. I'd probably question their choice of videographers, but to have a blanket statement like, "I don't have a very good opinion of many dealers, but this was not only a blemish on the dealer but on dealers in general," is a bit of an overreaction, don't you think? Jeeze, now I'm responsible for this guy's mistakes? And a boycott? Really? It's like saying you once watched a blue car run a stop sign and now you hate all people who drive blue cars. Yes, I'm a little offended and disappointed that I apparently have to be 100% perfect all the time or else I lose you all as potential clients. I mean, do you hold everyone to such impossibly high standards? Do you stop going to a restaurant because the waitress accidentally brought you Coke instead of Diet Coke that one time?

Stuff happens, people make mistakes, and unless you have never screwed up and done something you regret, I don't know that it's right to paint with such a broad brush. Like I said, I don't know this dealer, I've never dealt with them, and I don't have any idea about their ethics or business practices. However, I'm 100% positive this video was a mistake they didn't intend to make.

Short version: Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Edited by Matt Harwood
typo (see edit history)

Of course not all dealers are like the subject, and I apologize if what was said implied that. However I do think that all dealers have a responsibility to maintain a certain level of professionalism among their ranks. Those of us who are not dealers and may not have a particular high opinion of dealers in general because of being hurt in the past, sometimes don't need much to jump to broad conclusions.

There are good cops and bad cops.

There are good lawyers and bad lawyers.

Good doctors and quacks.

Good teenagers and bad teenagers.

Every group needs to be responsible for their own kind.

To the latter, I teach at a college. In our big classes of up to 500 students, we had an episode where cheating on exams was really getting out of hand. Many facuty were forming a bad opinion of these kids and the reputation of the school could suffer as a result. I laid it right on the line for the students. I told the kids in my big lecture hall what was happening, what people thought of them, and how the actions of a few were hurting the reputation of everyone. I said that it was their responsibility as a group to maintain a level of ethical conduct --- to hold themselves to a "code of honor" that was not enforced by the faculty or administration, but by the students themselves. Well, that speech helped. Several of the cheaters were exposed and since all the students now thought that other students were watching, so to speak, the incidence of cheating practically disappeared. A Code of Honor is a good thing to have no matter who you are.

I would hope that other dealers would put some pressure on this one to better maintain their image. And as for that one dealer, I hope that it was a mistake that the video got out to the public like that, but it illustrates the kind of people they have working for them, and I don't want to do business with that sort no matter what they are selling.

Don't flame me. This is my opinion. Ignore it if you disagree

There are good lawyers and bad lawyers.

Scott;

While I agree with the bulk of your post, I have to disagree with the above. A more correct statement, in my opinion, would be: "There are competent lawyers and bad lawyers". This is just an old deep-seated prejudice borne out of experience, so I'll admit that I'm not open to reasoned, rational discourse on this one ... but if a lawyer happened to buy me a beer ....

Just sayin',

Grog

The number of pictures we take at a dealership when "having fun", it's surprising that more mistakes don't get uploaded. I did get to see the original video here, but a number of very reasonable explanations can be thought of.

I also find it interesting that folks view dealerships with such distain and high expectations, yet also have a feeling of entitlement to have us make as little money as possible. If everyone was willing to pay MSRP then pay roll would support many more "high class employees". You get what you pay for. You are paying x dollars for the manufacturer and y dollars for the dealership experience. Since it seems so vital to make Y as little as possible, what do you really expect in terms of quality? The direction things are heading I think you'll see it get worse, and it's far more consumer driven than dealership driven IMO.

I'd love to provide a personal catered experience for each of my accounts, and I try my best. But, when you have the constant fear that if you don't close the deal right now then they bum down the street will beat you by $50 and get the deal, it's hard to give folks 100%, and less motivating to act professional when you're asked to make a video that will probably not have a direct benefit to you (and you get paid commission so unless you're the one who sells it you just worked for free). Sorry for the soap box, some dealers deserve a bad rap. It truly is a consumer driven experience though.

You guys don't have very thick skin.

I did not see the video but I am not offended by foul language, I've been hearing it for decades.

Sure there is a time and place, but I cant fault some guys having fun.

Guest kaycee

At my age and having had four years of English with a AAAAA+++++I can't say that kind of language is just O.K, but I know how to speak sixty five years later!

kaycee