1953 Chrysler New Yorker Hearse

Guest Nicochan

Guest Nicochan

Greetings all. I figured I would start poking my head back into the various online forums now that I'm working in earnest on my 53. I originally bought it back in 2000 and was working on and off it on various parts. The engine has been rebuilt, I had my tranny linkage recently re hooked up. I have a Holley carb that I rebuilt and am working to get tuned. So far so good, it drives again and sounds amazing. I'm back to looking for some parts. It is complete, but due to age needs to get some things replaced. Right now my head lights are a challenge - the springs that hold the part between the light and the backing ring are rusted so mounting that part is not possible at the moment. I'm wondering if there's a generic item (ie at home depot) that would suffice. I still have quite a bit to do on it. Here are some pictures of where I'm at so far.

post-106377-143143019856_thumb.jpg

post-106377-143143019841_thumb.jpg

post-106377-143143019844_thumb.jpg

post-106377-143143019845_thumb.jpg

Guest Nicochan
Here is our 52 Chrysler Windsor for parts.

Let us know if any parts will work. Looks like your 53 and our 52 have simalar parts. Nice car your doing. We just sold our 1934 Dodge Hearse, going to its new home this weekend:((

[ATTACH=CONFIG]300162[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]300163[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]300164[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]300165[/ATTACH]

Ooh, may be interested in the front bumperettes. They look in nice condition compared to mine. And your radio. Mine was made without one, but there is the slot to have one put in. Sounds like the 34 would be amazing to work on. Was it a limo style with all the windows?

Those springs are a generic part used on all cars for many years. They held the headlight bucket in place, but allowed it to move for adjustments. I don't know what they are called as I don't ever recall them wearing out or needing replacement.

I didn't know Chrysler made any hearses. It appears to be built on the limousine chassis with limousine rear fenders which were different from the standard 1953 sedan fender but similar to the 1951 - 52 fender.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Guest Nicochan
Those springs are a generic part used on all cars for many years. They held the headlight bucket in place, but allowed it to move for adjustments. I don't know what they are called as I don't ever recall them wearing out or needing replacement.

I didn't know Chrysler made any hearses. It appears to be built on the limousine chassis with limousine rear fenders which were different from the standard 1953 sedan fender but similar to the 1951 - 52 fender.

It was built by Economy Coach http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/e/economy/economy.htm This coach was built for Theo C Auman. Inc in Reading, Pa. I tried to contact the home some years ago, however the current company that runs the home knows very little history on this hearse.

Ooh, may be interested in the front bumperettes. They look in nice condition compared to mine. And your radio. Mine was made without one, but there is the slot to have one put in. Sounds like the 34 would be amazing to work on. Was it a limo style with all the windows?

I'll get back with you on the parts. Been busy prepping our 34 Dodge Hearse that is going to Nashville.

post-78906-143143025195_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143143025182_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143143025187_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143143025191_thumb.jpg

Dave, did you have that hearse up for sale here?

Yes, I did. It sold to a friend in Mt Juliet TN. He was trying to buy at the same time that we got it about 10n years ago. Bryon Dyer, the guy that bought it has about 20 1933-34 Dodge and Plymouth in his collection. He is opening up a resto shop as we speak. He is 68 years old and one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. Has helped me a lot in the Mopar field.