garage ideas/placement

7 hours ago, trimacar said:

Very nice, well done!  I'm jealous, my neighborhood doesn't allow a detached building, even though I have the land for it....shucks....

A friend many years ago ran up against a similar building restriction. He built his over size two car garage and attached it to the house with a 8 foot long 2X6 that he ran his power to his new building on.  The town approved it but it was technically a loop hole, it would not have worked if he hadn't ran the power to the new building along the 2X6.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow, she is talented, very nice!  I believe the only thing my wife ever made for my garage is her way out of it!

(and I'm kidding, she likes the old cars and tolerates me impressively...in fact, she's on my case now to find a 50's convertible, a notable absence in our list of cars....)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, trimacar said:

Wow, she is talented, very nice!  I believe the only thing my wife ever made for my garage is her way out of it!

(and I'm kidding, she likes the old cars and tolerates me impressively...in fact, she's on my case now to find a 50's convertible, a notable absence in our list of cars....)

David, for putting up with you (us?) she deserves something like the one I gave Dale:

Taos Chrome 2010 - 1954 Cadillac 009.jpg

Taos Chrome 2010 - 1954 Cadillac 007.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, trimacar said:

Ha!  I do have permission to get a Corvette when the time is right. 

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

Marty, we'll take it!! You were offering it, correct?  And she DOES deserve it....

Absolutely,

She (your bride) has the USE of it whenever she wishes, 

But with me as navigator...

You have too much fun as it is-

... and Dale still loves your Pierce and your cream Packard Super-8

• 7 months later...
On 8/9/2015 at 3:23 PM, oldIHtruck said:

Run PVC conduit under the concrete slab to facilitate electric runs from one side of the building to the other. Do the same with PVC schedule 40 plumbing pipe for compressed air outlets with quick connects.

-M

NEVER use pvc for air lines. It can explode and shatter you with pieces.

Also, in case of a fire, it will melt and feed the fire with a blast of air that will look like a blow torch.

I used pvc under the concrete floor to save money and someone decided to tighten the pipe that came up from the floor. It shattered the plastic under the floor and made the line useless.

(had I welded a piece of steel across the pipe  that was embedded in the concrete to prevent it from turning, it would still be working.)

PS, water will also collect in the under ground pipe due to condensation.

Water, air and elect. lines should always be installed so that you can service them and add extra connections as necessary.

Edited by Roger Walling
sp (see edit history)