Recommendation Request

Guest f4gahead

Guest f4gahead

Hello,

this is my first time posting. i have a 1937 REO Truck and have had the vehicle with three different folks to restore over the years. The engine, transmission, brakes and mechanics have been restored and have been completed by a machinist. Now the truck is with another guy and I am feeling a bit frustrated with him. He says he cannot give me an estimate of time to complete the project or an estimate on remaining price to complete the project. His disposition is rude and he has a habit of nickle and diming me. He does not make much progress on the restoration and last month he billed me $2,200 to make a door hinge and latch. I am in a dispute over the mfg of the bed, which he quoted me a completed fixed price, then this month he says it didn't include putting a finish coat on the wood and i have been waiting for a final design drawing of the siding based on what specs i provided to him, I'm sure he will deviate from what we discussed and try to take the cheap way out there too. He wanted me to pay him in advance to finish the bed and i told him i am withholding final payment of $1,500 until I see the design plans and the job is complete.

I want to get a reputable restorer to go with me to see the truck and get an assessment as I think I may want to pull the project from him and give it to a reputable person to finish the paint and body and final assembly. The truck is located in San Andreas, CA., i.e., somewhat near Stockton, Lodi, area. Can anyone please provide me with a recommendation and or refer me to a reputable auto body and restorer to go with me to provide advice? The truck is a family heirloom and it is important to me to get the job done right. I have had it with the greedy grouch currently making my life miserable.

Sincerely,

Mike

f4gahead,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. Sorry to hear that you are having problems. This subforum is designed for techincal questions regarding operation of the forum. Your question does not very easily fit in one particular forum or another. I have moved your question to the Techincal questions forum. Hopefully someone here can help you with a recommendation. I would also suggest you contact an AACA Region or Chapter in your area. You can find a listing of the AACA Regions and Chapters on the AACA main page at AACA.org.

From your description of past practices and delays, excuses and additional charges, what could possibly change this guy into a place and person you trust and want to do business with ??

My thoughts are just go remove the vehicle, take it back home and THEN shop around for another shop to finish the job.

It might be a good idea to review the history and any contracts you have with an attorney first, and maybe even take the attorney along. Even at attorney hourly rates, you might come out money ahead by getting the vehicle away from what appears to be a crooked operation.

I hope most of what you stated is on paper with signatures. Otherwise it's all hearsay, and won't go very far. Also check with your state licensing laws to find out if the 'restorer' can file a mechanics lien on the title or not..

GLong

With any form of agreement, especially amongst friends, I write it down, ask my friends to read and correct any missunderstandings, or confusion, then we both sign the agreement. Some think I don't trust anyone, it's my memory and his or her memory I don't trust.. And guess what?? Those friends are STILL friends, many decades later.

GL