Pesky rattle I can't find

macc

I've been trying to track down a rattle I've been hearing on my 63 for some time now. It only happens when I'm driving down the road and have the throttle pressed down. When I take my foot off the pedal it stops also when it's in neutral it stops even if I press on the gas. I've looked for anything rattling against anything under the car but haven't found a thing. It almost sounds like something is hitting the fan blades but I see nothing even close to it. The more throttle I give her the more pronounced the sound gets. I know it's kinda hard to diagnose a noise over a computer but any suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated.

That sounds like the infamous "Riviera rattle." If it is, it's the fuel return line rattling against the frame rails. Check the line out to make sure that the clamps haven't rotted away and that you have the necessary clearance from the frame.

Ed

That sounds like the infamous "Riviera rattle." If it is, it's the fuel return line rattling against the frame rails. Check the line out to make sure that the clamps haven't rotted away and that you have the necessary clearance from the frame.

Ed

i did check the lines along the frame rails and all clamps look good and tight

Make sure the bottom of the fan isn't touching the fan shroud due to collapsed motor mounts.

Without some resistance, the motor mounts will look good with the engine idling and being revved up. These mounts are easy to check by applying some torque to them. To check the right side mount, put the transmission in low, stand hard on the brake with your left foot and give the engine some gas with your right foot. If the right side mount is broken, the engine will raise up on the right. To check the left mount you do the same thing but with the transmission in reverse. If the left mount is broken, the engine will raise up on the left.

Ed

Without some resistance, the motor mounts will look good with the engine idling and being revved up. These mounts are easy to check by applying some torque to them. To check the right side mount, put the transmission in low, stand hard on the brake with your left foot and give the engine some gas with your right foot. If the right side mount is broken, the engine will raise up on the right. To check the left mount you do the same thing but with the transmission in reverse. If the left mount is broken, the engine will raise up on the left.

Ed

Ed, I think you are on to something here. I had a bad motor mount in my 64 many years ago and the fan blade was actually scraping against the bottom of the fan shroud (non-A/C car)every time I put my foot into it but could never replicate the noise in neutral or park. I opened the hood, got back in the car, started it and put it in gear with my foot on the brake. As I gave it gas I saw the engine lift up on one side and the fan hit the bottom of the shroud.

Pat

Ed, I think you are on to something here. I had a bad motor mount in my 64 many years ago and the fan blade was actually scraping against the bottom of the fan shroud (non-A/C car)every time I put my foot into it but could never replicate the noise in neutral or park. I opened the hood, got back in the car, started it and put it in gear with my foot on the brake. As I gave it gas I saw the engine lift up on one side and the fan hit the bottom of the shroud.

Pat

:D Let's hope that's what it is and you've found the problem.

Ed

:D Let's hope that's what it is and you've found the problem.

Ed

ok Ed I tried your lil trick and the left side did lift up a bit. More then the right side. The fan shroud looks un touched so I don't think that is where the sound is coming from. I haven't been able to get under her to check on that mount yet as of my back flaring up. Hopefully tomorrow I can get under her. Thanks for all the replies you guys really know your stuff!

I've been trying to track down a rattle I've been hearing on my 63 for some time now. It only happens when I'm driving down the road and have the throttle pressed down. When I take my foot off the pedal it stops also when it's in neutral it stops even if I press on the gas. I've looked for anything rattling against anything under the car but haven't found a thing. It almost sounds like something is hitting the fan blades but I see nothing even close to it. The more throttle I give her the more pronounced the sound gets. I know it's kinda hard to diagnose a noise over a computer but any suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated.

If it only happens when going down the road, and not when loading the engine while standing still, take a good look at the center bearing, both the condition of the bearing and if the mounting bolts are in place.

Tom Mooney

PS Are you familiar with what pre-ignition or spark knock sounds like? That sound could be described as a "rattling" and would be consistent with your description depending upon your experience/perception level.

Yes and no...pre`ignition (or an event that sounds like it) can be caused by several variables but consider it like a hammer coming down on the piston top during combustion causing the pistons to "rattle" in their bores. The cure is back off the timing, higher octane fuel, etc, depending upon cause....I could write a small book on the subject. Try retarding the timing 3 to 5 degrees, or use higher octane fuel and see if the sound you hear goes away or lessens,

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the suggestions. Unfortunately I've been out of work and have been unable to look into this further. But can't do anything without money first right. The last time I drove the car it only made the sound for a lil while then it was gone for the rest of the day. Really weird. I haven't noticed any change in performance at all. It's just a liil embarrassing pulling away from a stop light when the car is making a weird sound. Kinda takes the cool away haha. As soon as I'm back home I'll give those suggestions a try.

• 1 month later...

Well I think I may have figured out where the rattle is coming from. After trying all your suggestions without any luck. I disconnected the transmission kick down linkage, really just because I was tired of having a stiff pedal, and drove the car around for a few weeks and didn't hear the rattle once. Took it for a nice long 2 hour drive from Sacramento to San Jose and didn't hear the rattle either, used up a quart of oil though. Well a week ago I connected the transmission kick down and the rattle is back.