Any alternatives to chrome?

uh6077

The grille and bumpers on my 41 are in bad shape. They need to be refinished but the price of chrome is insane. The car is a driver and will not be judged. I figure my options are to have them stripped then paint or powder coat them in something as close to chrome as possible. Has anyone had any luck finding something that looks decent. I know it will never pass as chrome but anything shiny would be an improvement. Who knows, maybe chrome is cheaper in other parts of the country. Calling around it looks like the 2 bumpers and grille would run me around $2500-3000 plus shipping.

I think that chrome that is in poor condition looks better than chrome that has been painted. If it is really bad shop around for used replacement parts in better condition. Check out Shadetree77 posts. Robert did a nice job locating used trim for his Buick. Nicer used trim pieces can be an acceptable alternative to expensive chrome plating costs. Good luck with your car.

I've polished plain metal to a chrome like shine an then clear coated it. I don't know how that work or look like on something as big as a bumper.

I agree, all of our hand wheels on mills and lathes are polished plain steel you swear are chrome. But they have to be maintained. do research on clear coats as bleach said.

You can use a angle grinder with a buff wheel and rouge sticks. First you got to grind all the pits/imperfections going finer and finer then buff using grey, then red then the

finish white rouge sticks. Its the same deal as truckers dont clear their wheel rims or fuel tanks more like on Sundays they buff them to a mirror. So one step at a time

on saw horses grind and buff, but I would still do a clear coat research, cause I find some tend to come out with a tint (not clear) kind of cloudy looking. worth a try

I had my bumper "chrome" power coated and it looks just like silver paint. (Uggly)

On my other car, I washed it with alum. brightener, (acid). That dissolved all the rust and left the remaining chrome intact. The rusted areas turned bare steel (dull gray).

Then I cleared it. It looked much better @ 20' than before.

On the back of another bumper, I used POR silver, It looked pretty good.. It may be the best silver to paint a bumper.

The final thing that you could do is to refinish it with chrome paint. It is a long step and requires a flawless black surface before applying the final "silver " finish. It looks exactly like real chrome.

http://www.sprayonchrome.com/index2.html

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)

Yes, there is an ALTERNATIVE to chrome plating.

It looks just like chrome, and it may be just what you need.

Our AACA region newsletter editor recently wrote an article on

spray-on chrome, and that product can be 1/3 to 1/2 the price

of regular electroplated chrome.

Go to Google, and search "Jay Leno spray on chrome." You will

see a video which Mr. Leno made about the process. The California company

he refers to in that video is no longer in business, and he referred us

to Coat of Chrome in Wind Gap, Pennsylvania (telephone

570-656-5001). See www.coatofchrome.com.

The process can be applied to virtually any substrate, including metal

and plastic. It is basically the process used for silvering mirrors, with

a protective clear coat applied afterward. Don Pirre, the proprietor of

Coat of Chrome, says it shouldn't be used on the front end of an

every-day use vehicle, though his website, I see, shows chromed grilles

for modern Acuras and Range Rovers which dealers must have requested.

Bumpers might not be the ideal place either if they are going to be subject

to abuse. The end result is essentially like paint and, like paint, subject to

road rash. Talk to Don and see what he says.

The Leno garage has used the product on motorcycle parts,

interior window switches, and a hood ornament for a 1956 Chevrolet.

Spray-on chrome doesn't merely approximate the look of chrome;

it is said to exactly duplicate the look. You can see some pictures

on Coat of Chrome's website.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone

My powder coating contact showed me a new product last fall that he just received and it is called new chrome. It is likely 7 out of 10 compared to real chrome but it is not bad. My concern is that it is certainly subject to chipping but at a quarter of the price you can't go wrong!

Wayne

To my knowledge, spray-on chrome is the same process a silvering mirrors.

I've used 'xxxx'-grade (also called '0000') steel wool on bumpers to get rid of the surface rust and then misted silver paint on the areas that stayed rusty-looking. You'd be surprised how shiny your original chrome can look after steel-wooling it, and the silver paint touch-ups aren't too noticeable when surrounded by real chrome.

The costly part of electroplating is the preparation and polishing (dirty manual work). All the rust pits need to be polished out, or copper filled, which also involves a lot of polishing to finish with heavy copper in the pits only. If you do a fair bit of that polishing work, the price could be a lot less. You'll need to do a fair bit of this anyway if you go the spray-on chrome route.

Don't know what their prices are for your car but I bought a rechromed back bumper for a 66 Ranchero I use to have from Bumper Boyz. I think they ship across the border to Mexico to keep their prices low. They were much cheaper than anyone else. They deliver to a lot of shows in the East, in my case I took my old one and swapped at the Dunkirk show to save shipping costs. For harder to find bumpers they may not be able to just swap which would costs more. Quality was not show chrome but very nice for a driver, probably closer to original factory chrome than the show chrome most restored cars get.

Guest Skyking

I bought from Bumper Boyz for one of my Mets and a word of caution. Try to pick it up at a show and inspect it. It took me looking at a couple before accepting one. If the bumper they send you was in rough shape before they plated it, you'll know. I was happy with the one I got.

Guess maybe I was lucky, but as SkyKing said inspect when you pick up, but remember it is not show chrome. Some of the negatives could be from expecting show chrome for a fraction of the price and that is not their business.

I would be willing to give them a shot depending on price and if I could inspect before payment. I would not let them rechrome mine though, would only buy one they had in stock and exchange mine once I inspected theirs. I would also paint the inside with silver paint to prevent rust from getting to areas that never get washed or waxed. I have heard of guys doing this even on show chrome and they say it helps it last much longer. No one ever sees it anyway.

I save a lot of money by doing the grinding and buffing prep work myself. Start with some small parts. Talk to your plater, see if he will strip them, then you grind out the rust pits , Take the parts back to the plater and get the parts coppered. Then you continue to make them flatter and shinier. Ask the plater for advice. The good guys will work with you.

You are in Rochester. Have you considered taking your chrome to Canada to be rechromed? I had mine done in Montreal as I live near there in NYS. I was very pleased with the work. When their dollar is low as now it can be a good deal for quality work. I be there is a chrome shop in western Ontario that is within a couple hours of you.

Guest Skyking
Guess maybe I was lucky, but as SkyKing said inspect when you pick up, but remember it is not show chrome. Some of the negatives could be from expecting show chrome for a fraction of the price and that is not their business.

Jim, I guess I was also lucky. Mine does look like show chrome, and like mentioned, I paint the rears on all my cars. The bumper has been on the car for 8 years without any problems.

Cambridge Custom Chrome is in Ontario.

And for Americans who wouldn't want to

pay extra for shipping to Canada, they have

a mailing address in New York state, the Buffalo area.

I don't know what their prices are, but I don't

suppose they would be substantially less;

though the Canadian dollar being around 80 cents U. S.

might help now.

I just got this reply from the Bumper Boyz. Anyone want to loan me the money to have the grille done? Wow

Hello Shane:

Yes we have the bumpers, and the guards but not the grill we will have to do your own.

Price sheet is attach bumpers are $400.00 each to do yours or exchange

over riders are $110.00 each

the grill depending on the damage will $2800.00 approx. it is die cast not steel.

We have to determine the price after stripping.

Our parts are original, triple plated: copper, nickel and chrome.

If you have any question on the information please give me a call or e-mail.

thanks

Iris

Chrome is always costly and painted stuff that was supposed to be chrome always looks crappy.

Take a run out to Medina and see what these people can do for you: http://www.barnesmetalpolishing.com/. I was happy with their work and prices when I was servicing cars in the '90's.

They came under my radar last year when I bought my Packard. The chicken on the hood and the tail light bezels had been done by them for about $500 and I was, once again, pleased with their work.

post-46237-143143014978_thumb.jpg

By June the winter rush for car work should be tapering off, Just guessing, $500-600 each should get the bumpers done and you might squeeze the guards in at that. I have a pile of stuff to take over during the summer, but I have been finding the pieces pretty reasonable on Ebay.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

I just got this reply from the Bumper Boyz. Anyone want to loan me the money to have the grille done? Wow

Hello Shane:

Yes we have the bumpers, and the guards but not the grill we will have to do your own.

Price sheet is attach bumpers are $400.00 each to do yours or exchange

over riders are $110.00 each

the grill depending on the damage will $2800.00 approx. it is die cast not steel.

We have to determine the price after stripping.

Our parts are original, triple plated: copper, nickel and chrome.

If you have any question on the information please give me a call or e-mail.

thanks

Iris

I was quoted three times that to chrome my 46 Chrysler bumpers by a local shop here. They will be powder coated.

Contact Roger James at D&D Classic Auto Restoration in Covington, Ohio. They had a special room they built to coat parts with a product that was close to Chrome and very tough. He showed me a part that they did and then Roger carried it in his pocket with change and keys. Took a beating and held up. Talk to Roger at (937)473-2229xEPMsFKs7YmM8bsAMlyf2OwTPszAMZMeayGCpJVAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC.

Have you tried internet want ad sites such as craigslist, AACA,Hemmings yet? Dodge Brothers club forum? Maybe a long shot, but a google search is where I always start now.

A decent pair of used could do you for now and let you keep your originals to practice doing all the prep work needed before sending out for re-chrome. A friend of mine uses Cambridge Chrome in Cambridge Ontario Canada and he is very happy with the quality of their work. He has both show cars and restored drivers. I'm in Ontario and they have a great reputation, but not cheap.

Jack,

Go get a quote to do the grille on your 46 Chrysler......

Make sure you're sitting down.

Thanks Joe,

Those are a very intricate grill, probably needs to be disassembled.

Fortunately I have a good one of those.

I do have a couple extras, but using the best one.

I have many 46 thru 48 parts that I wont be using as I have most of two parts cars. Feel free to contact me with wants.

Keep your eyes peeled for a car for sale that you can rob the better front end parts from. This may be a lot cheaper in the long run. I realize reselling this car would be a hassle but, the savings would probably be worth it.

Keep your eyes peeled for a car for sale that you can rob the better front end parts from. This may be a lot cheaper in the long run. I realize reselling this car would be a hassle but, the savings would probably be worth it.

This kind of thing can run into a dilemma of sorts. What if the entire car you find is better that the one you started with? Do you still rob the parts or do you sell the first car?

Parts cars are hard to sell.

Since they are incomplete the buyer has to have a like car that doesn't need what you already stole.

I am not one that enjoys to sell parts due to the hassle, however I do on occasion.

Tell me about selling parts! People have learned to expect a cradle to grave guaranty and free shipping for their inspection. Ebay's delusion that buyers are their customers has done a lot to create that mindset. Does it affect parts availability? Sure can.

My first collector level Cadillac was a 1969 Fleetwood that turned into a daily driver for my wife and was consumed by New York rust. I parted the big chunks and found a couple of scratches on the bumper. Not wanting a hassle, it spent 10 years as a nice bench.

post-46237-143143019066_thumb.jpg Eventually a guy with a '69 Caddy convert stopped by and was thrilled to find it; a good story to keep in mind when one wonders why they can't find a part for their car.

Bernie

Thanks Joe,

Those are a very intricate grill, probably needs to be disassembled.

Fortunately I have a good one of those.

I do have a couple extras, but using the best one.

I have many 46 thru 48 parts that I wont be using as I have most of two parts cars. Feel free to contact me with wants.

I sent you a PM

Joe

I have a powder coater that I use for all my iron work and they have one product called X chrome. They showed me the chip of it and it has a really nice look to it. They just got in two new samples of more chrome powders today. The newest one is made by the same company and its called extreme chrome. They're going to get a piece of aluminum trim and put all three chromes on it so people can see the difference. I'm going to have the two lower dash trim pieces done with it. If it turns out really good then I will powder the front grill center section. I will post pictures off the progress.

• 3 weeks later...

I was at the powder coaters today picking some items for one of my customers and they had the two trim pieces done for my dash. Looks great. I will be getting my center grill section done next. Is it like show chrome? No, but for what your paying it's a good alternative. The name of it is X-Chrome from IMS.

post-96233-143143062737_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143143062683_thumb.jpg

post-96233-14314306271_thumb.jpg

Edited by Laughing Coyote (see edit history)