Does anyone have any info on Rowe cars and trucks? They were produced in Pennsylvania from 1912 to 1925

Big Mark

Back in the 1960's there was one under restoration here in Connecticut. Owner would have a spot in the Flea Market at the local Fall Meet off HCCA here in Ridgefield looking for parts & info. Great show that is no more, hope the ROWE is restored and still around here some were. Bob

Per Mroz's US Trucks Ency: 1911-25...nice thumbnail, some pix, began with 3/4 delivery, later up to 5Ton ratings; did build some fire trucks, generally mostly another "assembled" truck.

Built a "speed" model 3T in 1919 with the Hershell-Spillman V8; est total prod all models some 4500 or so...

Listed in a number of my old parts catalogs, which could be that they tended to stay in service or that they simply used mostly popular engine models...

Your pub lib should have copy of The Illus Ency Of Am'cn Tks & Comm'l Cars-Albert Mroz-or Georgano's World Trucks Book (the big one with thumbnails, not the little on with just names/adds's...

Std Cat lists Samuel D. Rowe as designer of 5 Cyl air cooled engine he put in a prototype of an experimental car in 1908, which wasn't marketed,, when he "...contented himself with the manufacture of motors...".

Another try in 1910 failed, so he switched to trucks. Nothing else is mentioned re' his 5Cyl air cooled or his other motors...

Rowe Motor Co, Waynesboro, is listed under gasoline auto motor m'f'r's in a 1908 Trade Directory/Journal, apparently no other info.

Guest tiredtruckrestorer

Hello Mark,

A friend called me and told me there was a discussion on this forum about Rowe trucks. I have the Rowe truck that was in CT. From there it went to the Hays Museum in CA in 1988. I bought the truck from Don Hays in 1998 and had it shipped back East, not too far from where it was built in Lancaster, PA. My truck is a 1921 Model CDW 2 1/2 ton. According to a publication of The Rowe Motor History by Donald J. Summar for the Lancaster County Historical Society, he mentioned that they only know of one survivor which happens to be the one in my collection. Although the truck is a 1921, it was back at the factory in 1925 when the Rowe Motor Company when into receivership. Mr Summar detailed the history of this truck from then until it was sold to the Hays Museum. The truck is in running condition, just an open cab with no body, just like the factory brochures show it. Over the years I have collected some literature and pictures of Rowe trucks. I can't seem to find my pictures on my computer of the truck right now though. I'll keep looking. If you would like to see the truck in person contact me at tiredtruck@Verizon.net.

Keith Ernst

Thanks Keith, I volunteer at the Cannon restoration shop at the Gettysburg national battlefield. On the wall of the shop is a picture of what they think is the first automobile owned by the park service. It's a Rowe. The picture is dated 1912. It's a small truck, less the 1 ton for sure here is a pic I took with my phone. I was just wondering if there were any survivors.

Thanks, Mark

post-32164-143143011677_thumb.jpg

Keith, Thank you for the update on the Rowe truck, I had no idea it was that rare. Just thinking of the parts wanted sign at the old Ridgefield Meet brings back great memories. Sure would like to see you post a few photos of it. Best wishes, Bob

Info in the American Truck Spotter's Guide 1920-1970, Tad Burness. Rowe. 1911-1927. Engines used, 4 Cylinder Wisconsin, V8 H-S and Pitt. engines. Several pictures on page 272. Dandy Dave!

• 8 years later...

Big Mark, Bud Tierney, 1937hd45, Dandy Dave, Tiredtruckrestorer, keiser31,

That was me who owned the Rowe and used to advertise for parts in the 1960s. Here are some photos.

tiredtruckrestorer has the truck now and it is in good hands! The photos include a picture of the truck in Wagontown, PA prior to me buying it (in 1963) and a picture of it after I had done some restoration in 1973 and a setup at an old car flea market in c1965 where I was asking for help with parts and information. I eventually found a set of wooden wheels with solid tires and some other critical parts for its restoration. There is also a photo of the truck in the Hays museum in California prior to it being sold to tiretruckrestorer in PA.

35mm Slide Rowe 2.5 Ton CDW 1966.08_124.jpg

35mm Slide Rowe 2.5 Ton CDW 1964.11_094.jpg

35mm Slide Rowe 2.5 Ton CDW 1973.07_150.jpg

Rowe CDW 2.5 Ton Hayes Museum 1993 a.jpg

• Like 5

The guy that owns it now is my wife’s cousin. He has an incredible collection of trucks, most of which are in great survivor condition with only enough restoration to keep them operable.

• Like 3

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Does anyone have any info on Rowe cars and trucks? They were produced in Pennsylvania from 1912 to 1925