Sign in to follow this  
G. Wayne Miller

Specifications of the 1908 Model T -- expert opinion wanted!

Hi, Forum folks, as some of you know, I am an author whose next title, CAR WARS: The Fight for Supremacy between Ford and Olds and the Dawn of the Automobile Age, will be published in November. One passage contains a technical description of Ford's first T, which was shipped on October 1, 1908. Is there a T expert out there who would be willing to read what I have written and confirm its accuracy -- or correct errors? I have drawn my description from trade journals of the time and other sources, but would greatly appreciate a look from an authoritative source. Many thanks. You can write me at: pascoagwriter@yahoo.com -- I will then send the passage for critique. Wayne Miller, www.gwaynemiller.com. Facebook book site here.

post-104259-143143004547_thumb.jpg

Suggest you post your request on the Model T forum at MTFCA... Very busy and helpful place, tremendous body of early Ford info.

1908's were basically prototypes. Only 309 were built from October until December. The rear end halves were riveted together instead of bolted. Also, If memory serves me correctly, I think the oil pan was Aluminum on the very early cars. There are other differences to the later cars when production really got into swing. Agree that you should talk with the MTFCA members. Dandy Dave!

As far as an expert is concerned, the best source would be the MTFCA and its plentiful publications. One of the best publications (MHO) is Bruce McCalley's "Model T Ford, The Car That Changed The World". A very in depth study of the "T".

Good luck, the early history is fascinating.