Sign in to follow this  
pint4

Woodgraining needed for dash and garnish moldings

Does anyone have a recommendation for the name of a service that does woodgraining on car dashboards? I am looking for an accurate reproduction so it looks like the original factory woodgraining. I am restoring a 37 Packard.

Thanks.

Are you willing to ship across the country. If not, let us know what city you are near and how close do you want the shop to be.

I am willing to ship. The dash is 3 pieces, none very long, and the garnish moldinsg are not that large either because it is a convertible.

Many places do woodgraining. You want to find someone who has the correct engraved plates and knows what the original grain looked like unless yours is in good enough shape to determine the grain and color. Just like painting, most of the work in woodgraining is in the preparation.

Terry Frye in Wisconsin Studebaker guy 608 831 3314 Very nice work.

Keith Smith in Colorado 970-587-8573 does exceptional work, lots of Packard's and high end cars, good honest guy and reputation over 50 years woodgraining.

Sounds like the critical piece of the puzzle is making sure whoever does the woodgraining has the correct wood grain patterns and colors in addition to prep work and being able to replicate the original factory look.

I tried the number provide for Terry Frye but the message said the number was no longer in service. Does anyone have a current number? Thanks.

post-88682-143143000591_thumb.jpgMy 1939 Packard RestoRod. DIY from www.woodgraining.com. They provided the correct color and plates for the 39. Just don't tell your car buddies you did it or you'll never stop. Do your car and sell the kit to the next guy.

I did my 32 De Soto as well. I would not use the woodgraining.com clear coat, but do a urethane with a detail sprayer. The orangpeel look from the clearcoat spray cans they sell is virtually impossible to level. I had to strip some pieces and start over. The base coat and woodgraining part is very do-able. Cost me about $500 for the woodgraining stuff, $150 for the clearcoat (way more than I'll ever need) to do a 7 window frames/garnishes sets, and the dash and a few trim pieces around the windshield of the car....2 weeks, about 30-40 hours

I tried the number provide for Terry Frye but the message said the number was no longer in service. Does anyone have a current number? Thanks.

Cell is 608-698-1771