Possible Weymann autos

memaerobilia

This image is from an 80 year old French glass stereo slide of Charles Weymann's Aircraft hangar in France, Circa 1932-33. Aside from his fame as a fabric body builder for many top Classics, such as Stutz, Duesenberg, Bentley, Bugatti and others, he was a famous record-setting aviator since before WWI. He designed and built a fair amount of one-of-a-kind aircraft from 1930-1933, and was a partner with Lepere, for a short time. Does anyone recognize a Weymann bodied car in this group parked at his hangar? The two on the left, appear a bit smaller, as this photo is between the two photos of the stereo slide. The one on the Right is from the right photo of the two images.

weycari_zps1ba9tzle.jpg

Hi Bob

I found a box of 119 Original French Glass stereo slides, 'in the bowels of my collections." Apparently they were all taken in and around the Weymann aviation company hangar, around 1932-33, and show so many rare images of various models of his unique planes. Almost all of the planes he designed, were one-of-a-kinds, that did not go into production. And most of them were unusual designs of many types, including Autogiros, and unusual design and contruction concepts. I even uncovered one model that is not even mentioned ONCE in any of the old magazine runs I have, or on the entire Internet, and I have several great photos of it.

I recognized the Bugatti front end, and assumed it was NOT the famous Bugatti Royale that Weymann did. the cars in the stero slides, above, are relatively small in the ALREADY small (9 x 13 cm) glass slides. I was happy to be able to enlarge them, as much as shown here. I recognize Weymann in several of the images, and unfortunatley, I THINK he is in several others, but usually with his back turned from camera, while looking at his aircraft. i believe most of these are the only known images. The internet has about 3-4 images in Total, of 3 different Weymann aircraft. Some of these show GREAT images, illustrating Weymann's genius of design details.

The box with all these original French glass slides, was found by me, in a very leaky attic, (An actual two foot dameter hole in the roof, above them!-but covered with one of those tissue-thin plastic paint tarps, that saved them)two hours drive, south of Paris, about 1988-89, and have been sitting in a crate in my climate-controlled collection storage room, and I come across them every couple of years, when searching for other records and documents and photos. This time, I was searching for a group WWI German glass stereo slides of WWI German flying officers, private shots, (that I did NOT find, yet!)

Hi Joe, Thanks for "The Rest of the Story" finding this stuff is half the fun, glad those glass plates are in a proper area now. Just read about the Harrison Ford vintage plane landing the other day, I never knew he had a plane collection. Bob