Driving a Prewar Car on a Modern Highway

alsancle

I drive my 31 Cadillac 355A fairly often ( more often since I installed a heater!) locally, but do so only on 2 lane back roads, or 4 lanes where the speed limit is 55. It came from the factory with a 4:54 ratio rear, and although it rides, steers and stops well (yes, it has mechanical brakes) it is for all practical purposes a 45-50mph car. Above 50mph, the engine is really wound up. The car is great fun just motoring along on the 2 lane back roads - you get a real sense of what it was like back in the day - you guys know what I mean. Not long after acquiring the car, I pulled the pan to check the babbit bearings. The rods were nearly shot, the mains were ok. Typical, I think for a long stroke engine like this that was run too hard. I repaired that little problem, lol and have contemplated installing a gearvendors overdrive unit. I am lucky in that I also have a 66 corvette with a 427 that I can jump in if I want to go faster;).

I drive a 1932 Packard 900 Light Eight which I restored. It has all new babbitt bearings and of course, mechanical brakes. The rear end is 4.36/1 and I cruise the car comfortably at 45-50 mph. Both me and the car are happiest at about 45 mph. After that the engine seems wound out although it will go faster if you want it to but is very uncomfortable feeling at higher speeds. First gear is all but superfluous in this car; my grandfather pulled stumps out of the ground with a '31 Packard. I tour the car with the VMCCA and all of our tours for these older pre-war cars seem to be designed around a 40-45 mph average speed. I agree with the poster that prefers to go slower and "smell the roses"; that is why I drive an old car. I have it because I want a 1932 driving experience, not a modern one which I can get every day in a modern car.

Guest wishbone

I find adventure/nostalgia in driving these old beauties on the open road. I've made a few 1000-2000 mile trips in a classic. Although I have to admit negotiating cities is very taxing. My trips have usually been to fly from California to the midwest and attempt to drive home what usually boils down to a barn find that runs and stops. I try not to worry too much about speed...and I've found that the Interstate freeways are easier than the more picturesque blue highways. On the freeway, other folks can whip past you at their desired supersonic speeds. All the while honking and waving because, I assume, they are jealous.

I should admit though, that I've retired from the risky barn find, and only drive what I've fixed up and know that I can reasonably depend on, ie: safe tires, good brakes, and working lights. It really is enough adventure in a good running classic.

-Wishbone

couple of pics of my latest run: 1935 Nash

I'll confess to be the driver behind the wheel of the 32 Packard that was the subject of this thread. While interstate driving is not a joy that I look forward to, it's great to have a stock pre war car that can handle all road contitions if necessary. The higher speeds on the big highways are not too difficult to deal with, it's the rush hour traffic that is most worrysome. I find short drives at 70 mph or so are a great way to prove the cars cooling system as well as the fuel delivery and ignition systems. If a car will run down the interstate at modern speeds for 30 miles with no issues, I declare the car bullet proof and just drive it from then on. I pride myself on cars that run well, as new and are so reliable that I don't carry a single tool. It takes a while to get the car to where you can depend on it and no longer worry about break down issues, but once it is properly sorted, there is nothing like driving a stock pre war CCCA Classic car. The Packard has a high speed rear in it, almost to long for my taste. It makes seconed gear useful while driving in town, otherwise it is the only modification the car has from new. Look for the car at Pebble Beach in 2017,as we have just started to do a total restoration to fix the 1980's restoration. The car was suffering from mechinical short cuts and some paint failure. But even then, it's a true American masterpiece of design and engineering.

post-31625-14314302762_thumb.jpg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

I'll confess to be the driver behind the wheel of the 32 Packard that was the subject of this thread. While interstate driving is not a joy that I look forward to, it's great to have a stock pre war car that can handle all road contitions if necessary. The higher speeds on the big highways are not too difficult to deal with, it's the rush hour traffic that is most worrysome. I find short drives at 70 mph or so are a great way to prove the cars cooling system as well as the fuel delivery and ignition systems. If a car will run down the interstate at modern speeds for 30 miles with no issues, I declare the car bullet proof and just drive it from then on. I pride myself on cars that run well, as new and are so reliable that I don't carry a single tool. It takes a while to get the car to where you can depend on it and no longer worry about break down issues, but once it is properly sorted, there is nothing like driving a stock pre war CCCA Classic car. The Packard has a high speed rear in it, almost to long for my taste. It makes seconed gear useful while driving in town, otherwise it is the only modification the car has from new. Look for the car at Pebble Beach in 2017,as we have just started to do a total restoration to fix the 1980's restoration. The car was suffering from mechinical short cuts and some paint failure. But even then, it's a true American masterpiece of design and engineering.

Magnificent car !!! It was built to be driven !!