Automatic Dimming Question, Saving an Override, Daylight Sensor

Dashmaster

Just had the reatta out for the first time at night. I had no dash lights or dimming. I just went thru Ronnie's Instrument Panel Light Troubleshooting guide.

Results: The dimming pot works and tested OK.

Daylight Sensor ( photo cell ) stayed a 4 no changes at all, had cloth and book on top of dash slots, Garage light off. ( Sensor is bad )

Activated the BS03 override and panels lights worked and could be changed with the pot.

Ronnie I checked you Store for the photo cell (daylight sensor ) did not see one. So I am looking for where would be a good place to get a replacement, I still have to look up the part number in the FSM.

Also is there anyway to Save Override setting. I did not see it in what I was reading. If it could be saved then I would not need the daylight sensor.

Thanks in Advance !!!!

Being an Auto sound guy I have pulling tools. I only messed up a small spot on the edge with my fingers. So the pad is not bad just something else to fix now, was faded pretty bad.

here is the correct picture the one's posted above are the mount and other sensor.

post-87347-143142992351_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

FWIW, the actual photocell is removable from the blue plastic carrier by unwrapping the wire leads from the wedge base. A new common CDS photocell procured from an electronics supplier can be installed on the blue plastic carrier in reverse of removal and then reinstalled in the car.

Radio Shack (if you can still find one) has a 5 pack of mixed bag photocells that had a large and medium size that would work. The smallest ones might work but would guess their senitivity is not as great. If no Radio Shack, if you have a local electronic hobbyist place or do business with a place like MCM elecrtronics, Digikey or Mouser, they are available there as well. The latter three have a minimum order and shipping to consider, so you'd need to order enough stuff to make it worthwhile.

Not to scuttle anyone's parts sales, but a used one will fail sooner or later in the same way if it is the about the same age as the one being pulled. As tenuous a proposition as getting the dashpad off intact is, a new part would be much better to install so as to avoid doing it again inside a couple of years, if that. Since they are so cheap, all the more reason to go with a new one. I believe there is info to this effect that I supllied on ROJ as well.

KDirk