41 buick

Guest sjp buick 41

Guest sjp buick 41

i have a 41 buick super 56s it has a 320 engine. i have the block, head, crank, and carbs. every thing else engine related i need, i probably need part i don't know i need. i do need a clutch, ills start there. this car was bought by my great grand fathers new in 41. the body and inside is pretty good just every thing mechanical.

Guest sjp buick 41

I'm starting to believe that the block i have is not the block that was pulled out. you are right the super had 248 and it would be hard to fit. the engine was pulled out and sat in a shop for 6 or 7 years before i got. the shop could have given me a 320 not realizing it. thank you.

Guest sjp buick 41

possibly. the ideal case would be to locate the original block. i am located in sacramento California. where are you located? what year was the engine made and what would you take for it? do you have picture of you engine?

About the clutch, many times the original can be rebuilt with new facings and springs, and the pressure plate can be resurfaced. An industrial shop that does trucks, transmissions, forklifts, etc., would be a place to start.

I was also going to mention about the engine size too, and this might sound silly, so forgive me, but are you sure its' a 56S not 76S? The styling is similar, though the 76S is bigger because of the longer 320 engine. The data plate will say what model and body style it is.

Also, post a few pictures of it, if you can. It's very neat that it has been in the family since new, not many folks can say that.

Keith

Guest sjp buick 41

i am 100% sure it is a 56s. what has happened is that while siting at a shop for so long the blocks have been mixed up. i have the original head witch is for a small series while the block and crank that were give back to us is for a big series. the shop has give us the wrong block and crank. the original block out of my great grandfathers car could be gone. i think am going to cry! my big thing was to use the original block from the factory but now I'm not sure what i should do.

SJP, I`m located in Sherman, Tx. My engine is from a 1941 Buick Special 40 series. I "think" it`s identical to the 50 series, only difference is the engine number, 40 series engine numbers start with a 4 and the 50 series starts with a 5. If you`d send me an email I`ll see if I can load a few pictures and list all the info of the engine. It`s not cheap. Thanks Tom Northcutt