Please I Need to Know How Too ? 1936 Buick Grill Emblem Removal

Budensor

CAN ANYONE TELL ME THE BEST WAY TO REMOVE THE GRILL EMBLEM FROM 1936 BUICK ROADMASTER 80C.

I'm really hopeing someone give me any idea how to simply. I've looked at the car and the only way I can see to remove it is to almost disciple the hold front end ? I'm looking for so help Please. I need to have it Rechromed. Also looking for the best person to have it Rechromed Buy ?

Thanks

Bud Ensor

Bud, you're right - lot's of front end disassembly to get to the nuts on the back side of the grill emblem. If I wanted to get to those badly enough, before I start taking a bunch of things apart, I would fashion a 'throwaway' socket (3/8" I believe) onto the end of something like an 1/8" brazing rod and fish it through from the side of the radiator. Put a 90 degree bend on one end to facilitate turning. Getting it off this way would probably be easier than getting back it on because you'd have to square up the nuts so that they'd not cross thread.

One word of warning for rechroming your emblem, be sure to tell the plater that the red part is essentially fired glass. Before the nickel dip, the plater will buff the copper and this will create much heat. The heat will chip the red glass and ruin the piece. It happended to me.

Bud, you're right - lot's of front end disassembly to get to the nuts on the back side of the grill emblem. If I wanted to get to those badly enough, before I start taking a bunch of things apart, I would fashion a 'throwaway' socket (3/8" I believe) onto the end of something like an 1/8" brazing rod and fish it through from the side of the radiator. Put a 90 degree bend on one end to facilitate turning. Getting it off this way would probably be easier than getting back it on because you'd have to square up the nuts so that they'd not cross thread.

One word of warning for rechroming your emblem, be sure to tell the plater that the red part is essentially fired glass. Before the nickel dip, the plater will buff the copper and this will create much heat. The heat will chip the red glass and ruin the piece. It happended to me.

Joel,

Thank You very much. I've thal to a guy that Plates for a company that Restores Emblems and does Red Cloisonné Glass. He say they plate after the emblem after the red cloisonné glass is done.

Thanks again

Bud Ensor