1939 buick engine casting number

Guest Brad Donaldson

Guest Brad Donaldson

Hi iam new to this whole blog thing not sure if iam even posting in the right place but here we go. I have a buick 39 MODEL 41 not sure what motor i have casting number is in front of the distributor 7I2052b4

Edited by Brad Donaldson (see edit history)

Guest Brad Donaldson

hi thanks for the reply after looking again its a mod 41 i also found these numbers on the left side middle down by the oil pan 1343404

The engine should have a stamped serial number near the distrubuter on a machined flat

Buick often used I for 1 and b for 6

Look here http://www.teambuick.com/reference/ident_engine_til_52.php (may need to register)

The casting mumber is not the part number in most cases

http://forums.aaca.org/f165/request-year-info-327156.html

Brad:

You can join the '39 Buick team:- '39 Buick Team on aaca.org

Babbitt was changed over to insert mid-year 1949. 1950 Series 40 (only) and send half 1949 Series 40-50 if you can find them will fit your car. Buick offered rods and bearings back to 1937 models beginning in 1949. It would be hard to find them now. I think Terrill in Texas remanufacture's babbitt rods to take the insert bearings. On the serial number, you seem to have two numbers. the 134 number sounds like a '39 engine without my looking it up. The number on the passenger side of the block, near the front of the engine is the correct one. The engine number did not appear anyplace else on the block. It is a smooth plate molded into the top of the block directly below the outlet on the sidepan for the lower breather pipe. the 1 stands for Flint manufacture. Min blue car starts with a 4 (Linden, NJ) and my yellow convertible sedan starts with a 1 which is Flint. Another thing is the outlet for the lower breather pipe out of the sidepan is more or less square. The 1953 engine has a round outlet.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

The engine serial number did not contain a plant digit and the plant digit for Linden was 3, not 4.

I'm in no mood to argue with you, but you're wrong. I have three '39 Special's and I even went out and checked the engine number on one which starts 436 and another which starts 134 and a third which starts 135. I'm 76 and I'm been playing '39 Buick Special's since I was 16, but you have your way. I'm out of here. I've had one for 52 and I've looked that engine number up in the past and it is Linden.

Another confusing issue is that for 1935-1941 the series digit in the engine serial number is on the left (beginning) of the number and for 1942-1956 the series digit is on the right (end) of the number. So how did I know that the number given had the series digit on the right instead of the left? If the series digit had been on the left, the engine would be from a series 70, making it a 320 which is about 6 inches longer than a 248/263 and would not fit in a Special. So the series digit must be on the right, making the engine a 263 from 1953.

Yeah, maybe I'm slipping. The convertible sedan is in the shop, so I couldn't look at it. I just ran out and looked at the engine number on the sedan. I know it has the original engine.....number starts with a 436 and is 8 numbers and the frame number starts with 3 as you said.....I know it is a Linden car. Frame number starts with 3 and the two convertibles start with 1. Engine number on the convertible coupe starts 437. Sorry to bark at you yesterday morning.