Chev 28 gearbox

John McFarlane

The transmission should fit the bell housing and the input chafts and clutch discs are the same. The only thing I am not sure of is wether or not the truck is torque tube drive or Hotchkiss drive. If the truck is Hotchkiss you should be able to change the rear extention housing on the tranny and use the one off your car one. What reason, unless you were interested in pulling stumps would you want to put the 4 speed in a touring car??

Guest boettger

Most of the time the highest ratio in these early transmissions was 1:1. This applied to both the 3 speeds and the 4 speeds. The 4 speed usually added a 1st gear with a very low ratio,hence the stump pulling message above. The four speed was used in trucks to get heavy loads moving. <BR>To accomplish what you want, you either need to change the rear axle ratio or add an overdrive unit. The over drive fourth or fifth gear is a relativly recent idea.<P>[ 02-13-2002: Message edited by: boettger ]<p>[ 02-14-2002: Message edited by: boettger ]

John-<BR> Those old four speeds are more like a 'three speed with an extra-low low'. I imagine that top gear is the same ratio in both boxes. You'll need to investigate either a taller rear axle gear or an aftermarket, bolt-on overdrive if you want more top end.

I would really want to check out your horsepower and torque curves before trying an overdrive or lower ratio rear end. I am not sure if you have enough horses at the right rpm to get more speed. Several times I have seen a lower ratio actually knock top speed down. You should be able to drive your 28 touring 50 mph all day with no trouble as it is. Of course all your dippers and oil channels would have to be perfect. I drive my 1930 Pontiac as a daily driver and on long trips can easilly hold 55-60 mph all day with a 4.53 to 1 rear end, however I have full pressure lube and 50% more horses. How fast do you want to drive, what shape is your engine in and what weight oil do you use?

Guest De Soto Frank

John,<P>Before you make that ol' Chevy go faster, what kind of shape are your brakes in?<P>From what I've heard about them, mechanical brakes, even four-wheel, were "barely adequate" for their day; even with a 35 hp four-banger.<BR>"All go and no whoa" can spoil your whole day!<P>The 4 speed truck tranny won't help your top-speed at all, as stated previously.<P>If driveability is your goal, you might want to consider "trading-in" on a '29 or'30 Chevy, with a six. They'll do 50 more readily.<P>There were some "speed options" available from way back for the Ford & Chevy; among them Ruckstell and Columbia both made a two-speed rear-end-primarily for the model "T", but I'm sure they also had a version for the four-cylinder Chevy.<P>'Nother thought- higher speeds on old-type skinny bias-ply tires can be scary- particulary if your front-end is "sloppy".<BR>My '41 DeSoto is capable of "higher speeds" but I still have to bear in mind that I'm driving on 6.50 x 16 tires that don't have a very big "footprint"; taking a corner too fast is a quick reminder!<P>Good luck- stay safe!

Frank<BR>There is absolutely no problem with correctly adjusted and set up mechanical brakes. I have driven with them for 43 years come June. That is over 370,000 miles, never a fender bender or a missed stop. Half a pedal and all four 550x19 tires lock up solid with a 2900 pound car on top. Never fail to work,if you were to break one cable or rod all the others work normally. The problem people had with them was improper adjustment and lack of maintainence. In later years they went to self adjusters and abs because because Joe Anybody just wanted to put the pedal to the metal and then change pedals. Hardly anybody these days even knows to turn into a skid. In my work I have been to over a thousand road incidents where people were killed. Note I said incidents not accidents. I have never seen an accident. All the incidents were caused by some one or more people doing something wrong be it speeding, drinking and driving or just stupidity by driving on bald tires or with poor brakes etc.