Sign in to follow this  
Decon

looking for parts for a reatts

I was wonderibg if anyone could point me into the right direction. i am looking for center consol parts for my 1988 reatta. I just purchased the car Febuary 17 for 900 and was complete exept a couple broken parts.

post-106864-143142980407_thumb.jpg

Thank you i did get a hold of them the price is reasobalbe for the rarity of the car. I might also take my original parts and make templates of them to create custom carbon fiber part. That way if i want to go back to original appearance i can.

You were not specific as to what you need. Rivieras are much more plentiful in salvage yards and many of the parts are the same.

I like the two tone Reatta look. What color is your interior? A matching color to the accent paint would be very pretty! It reminds me of lots of the C4 Corvettes and 1980's 442's that had a similar color scheme.

I was wonderibg if anyone could point me into the right direction. i am looking for center consol parts for my 1988 reatta. I just purchased the car Febuary 17 for 900 and was complete exept a couple broken parts.

You may also wish to check with Jim Finn in Duiuth, MN. He has been selling these parts for close to 15 years. His parts are good and reasonably priced. Best reached at jfinn@cpinternet.com.

We also have appreciation for the work and contributions that East Coast Reatta Parts is making but always nice to have alternatives available.

Kingsley

www.reattaspecialtyparts.com - the name to know when buying headlight motor repair kits for all model years of the Reatta as well sun visor clips and the EZ On replacement tops for the '90 and '91 convertibles

The interior color is tan and all there exept the top part of the center consol wich is broken. The two tone for the car was done buy the first owner of the reatta. The original color is red for the outside.

Many Reatta owners with the tan interior replace the aluminum look trim with the Riviera wood look trim. There are plenty of Rivs out there. You would need the 1986-1989 Riv if you are interested in going that way.

Ok thanks for the information i will keep that in mind. I understand that the reatta was marketed as a luxury sports car. In my opinion i think the inside is all luxury so im looking at making custom carbon fiber parts to bring the sport inside the car so any. Parts that have the mettal cover would become carbon fiber.

Ok thanks for the information i will keep that in mind. I understand that the reatta was marketed as a luxury sports car. In my opinion i think the inside is all luxury so im looking at making custom carbon fiber parts to bring the sport inside the car so any. Parts that have the mettal cover would become carbon fiber.

I've been slowly plodding away at eliminating some of the chrome in mine and turning it black, I think the addition of CF could look great too. I'm excited to see how yours turns out.

I think the two tone is refreshingly different as well. A less common take on the Reatta. Good luck.

Edited by PontiacDude210 (see edit history)

The carbon fiber that i will be using wont be the standard black and grey. Its acualy black carbon with blue Kevlar post-106864-143142980923_thumb.jpgpost-106864-143142980923_thumb.jpg

What i was meaning is that buick wanted a car that was luxurious but sporty to apeal to a younger groupe of people

Guest my3buicks

By younger they were aiming at the emoty nesters, folks Whose kids were now out of the house and had some extra income. I think women in the professional world were probably somewhat targeted along with upwardly mobile couples. Let's face it, most of the younger crowd couldn't afford a car of the Reatta price category, $25k base in 1988 and running up to about $37k for a conv in 91. That was huge money then in the car market.

The Reatta was never marketed as a "sport car"

Yet I still find them to have more sports appeal than the new "RS" model cruze, the "turbo" sonic which needs boost just to perform like a proper car, and the eco turbo Regal. Regardless of performance, the Reattas looks like a proper sports car to us younger folk. Also I just saw the MI intl auto show and was disappointed by the lack of body styling innovation.

Today I got in the mail a book I purchased on EBAY called "Reatta, The Premium American 2-seater. by Buick". This book was a Buick publication.

It states "we set out to create the best elements of a sports car and a luxury car into one." It also mentions in one other place on the opening page that to drive the car is a sports car experience without the limitations of many sports cars, bone jarring ride, no storage, hard to get in and out of and such. Just sayin.

With the big 235/60-16 tires I put on my Reatta I think of it as a muscle car without the muscle. Maybe Buick's version of a 2 seat Camaro? Most people I encounter don't know what a Reatta is. They usually tell me it looks fast but when they ask what engine it has I'm embarrassed to have to tell them it's a front wheel drive V6 with about the same horsepower as my old Chevy S10 pickup. :)

CumberlandFalls20145avatar.JPG

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

The Reatta may look "sporty" but let's face it, the bent is far more toward luxury than handling and performance. For its size it handles good but it's far too heavy to be considered a "sports car". It's a matter of perspective. Go out and drive a Lotus, Porsche, Vette, Fiero, etc...then go drive your Reatta. You "ll then know what your Reatta is and isn't.

Kit

As far as power, while the Reatta is no scorcher, it is no slouch either. In the current environment of 300-400 neo-muscle car era, 165hp seems like a small number. In 1988 however, that was perfectly respectable. Consider that most 1988 Cadillacs had a 4.5l V8 that made 180 hp. And they were larger heavier cars than the Reatta. Heck, my brother has a 1993 Fleetwood RWD fullsize land yacht with the 5.7l (aka 350) and it is still only rated for 180hp.

True, those aren't sports car either, but WRT engine power, the Reatta is more than adequate as a touring car (which is what it is despite appearances) even now, and was quite respectable at the time it was made. Cars in the late 80's were still suffering somewhat the blanket downgrades in vehicle size and power that occurred after the fuel crisis of the 70's which begat countless underpowered econo boxes. In that environment, the Reatta was quite decently equipped.

I'd agree it seems unimpresssive against the current stable of high output powertrains that have become so common. Just remember, gas is down to $2.15 or so a gallon as I write this (in the STL, MO area) but this won't last. At some point it will be back over $4, probably over $5 and then the speed demons with their poor Mpg ratings will lose their luster rather quickly unless you are independently wealthy and aren't concerned with fuel costs.

Everything is a tradeoff. I'll take less power for lower operating cost. The Reatta still has plenty of power to accelerate onto a highway and pass. It'll do double the posted legal speed limit on most non-rural interstates, though it may take time to build that speed should you really want to drive that fast. I never feel like it is coming up short unless I'm trying to so something stupid or unneccessarily aggressive in my driving.

Really, I like luxury over sport. I know some guys crave raw performance, but unless you are going to the track or happen to live in a place with roads that are well suited to an exciting drive and minimal traffic law enforcement (and my hometown doesn't fit that bill on either point) the power and handling of a high end sports car is wasted. It is about little more than appearances to have a 300+ hp high performance car at that point.

Some want it even if they can't use it to it's full potential. That's fine, spend your money how you like. I'll be taking a more practical approach as it suits my needs.

KDirk

At some point one has to simply realize that these are 25+ year old cars with 25+ year old technology. You have to judge them in the context they were made and how that has held up over time. The Reatta still has beautiful styling and still offers reasonable performance.

I face much the same dilemma with my old 944. It truly is a sports car, the styling still holds up, and is still fun to drive after all these years. (Though Kit doesn't approve of how clean my engine compartment is...) But bottom line is that it is a 30+ year old design, and many modern minivans can out drag it. The engine in my wifes little C230 has the same 2.5l displacement as the 944, and offers up a good 50+ more horsepower. And even that car is nearing 10 years old.

So I just try to keep both cars looking nice and running well, and enjoy them for what they are. The Reatta getting a Senior Gold in Portland certainly helped validate that approach. (Though my 944 would not do quite as well under similar scrutiny.)