[TR]

[TD]1974[/TD]

[TD]4XB17[/TD]

[TD]Apollo[/TD]

[TD]2-door hatchback coupe[/TD]

[TD]11,644[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

"I don't think they were that rare. It was the Buick version of a Nova. I remember seeing them back in the "day"

Okay, sorry for bothering you about it.

Pete

Ah please don't take it so hard. There's no bother about it. I had totally forgot that there was such a car.

Guest my3buicks

Neither year production figures would be considered huge numbers in the auto world. If you add the two years together and equal them out to all 50 states attorney 430 per state, which in the grand scheme of things aren't very many cars, very understandable why someone might've not remember seeing one. Rare no, someone in common, yes. When that hatch was open on those it was like a cavern, the opening was huge. I can still remember seeing a couch being Hauled in the Nova version

Guest Doug Burton

I worked across the street from the Norwood, OH GM assembly plant for awhile. They made the Apollos there. I remember seeing one coming off the truck as it was being loaded. Always wondered what they did with those, whether they just took them back inside and fixed them or turned them into scrap. As I recall, the hatchbacks were one of the models they made at that plant.

I worked across the street from the Norwood, OH GM assembly plant for awhile. They made the Apollos there. I remember seeing one coming off the truck as it was being loaded. Always wondered what they did with those, whether they just took them back inside and fixed them or turned them into scrap. As I recall, the hatchbacks were one of the models they made at that plant.

In the mid 1980s I was selling at a Chrysler-Plymouth dealership. A new Turismo came in which had been tightened down so much on each end that the car was bowed. When the pressure from the tie-downs was released, and the car driven off the truck, the middle was several inches higher off the ground than the ends. The driver loaded it back up, and we never saw it again.

• Like 1

I owned a slightly later version, a 1976 Skylark hatchback. I bought it from a car rental agency used when it was only a year old. I loved everything about that car, from the smoothness of the 231 V6 to the roominess of having the hatchback. The only thing I didn't like was the yellow paint job which was very poor quality. I eventually had the car repainted in GM Firethorn which was a metallic red they offered in those days. It became a very sharp looking car and the respray was a beautiful job with no trace of the yellow anywhere. A friend had sold me the Pontiac rally wheels that came on his '74 Firebird but in retrospect a set of 14" Buick Rallys would have been much better. The wife drove it until the second child came along and the Buick was traded for a 4 door car so she could get the car seat in and out easier. It is still one of those I sold that I still miss.

Certainly, many more Novas and Olds Omegas than Buick Apollo or similar Pontiac hatchbacks. Back then, the Apollos could be incredibly nice cars with much higher-level interior trim than the more common Novas. I don't recall seeing that many of those Apollos, regardless of body style, in the DFW area. Kind of a "best kept secret"? Especially with a Buick 350 4bbl in them!

NTX5467

• 1 year later...
Guest buickapollo455

Spell NOVA, Nova Omega Ventura Apollo. GM's idea of names. Have 73, Apollo. Rare now yes with slider sun coupe roof. 71-73-1/2 year X cars ( smaller than 72 skylark) , Tent offered option by dealer to hatch cars, tach on hood like GSX , AC , 455 Buick, 375th with shift kit. Super Sport Buick rims ( painted 71&73 only ) , bucket black interior, console floor automatic . AM/FM Delco radio, rear fan defrost, Tilt column, GS Sport steering wheel,  Fast car, have 455 in grill, put Buick 350 on fenders fool drivers at light. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg