Sign in to follow this  
65wildcatconvt

safe redline for 401 nailhead with 115k miles

The nailhead as what you call an interference fit engine. A valve in the wrong position in relation to the piston will put the valve through the top of piston in a heartbeat. Especially if your cam gear has lost its nylon covering for the teeth. My engine seemed to be running fine, but I never pushed it rpm wise. Upon tear down, all of the nylon was in the oil pan.

Ed

alright hey thanks to everyone-- so much great info from everyone.

the roads are solid salt up here still for about one more month and my car is up on blocks, so it is staying there until timing chain and tranny maintenance is done.

im not saying i am buying from rock auto . com but do any of you guys have an opinion on what you would buy of the 3 chains offered... they are down to one gear so kind of wondering where to buy a decent set, brand name, etc...

i will pick up a set as soon as i get my tax refund and will probably start another thread about doing a timing chain if that would be alright, i have a general idea but dont want to mess it up as i have not done one on this engine before.

Edited by 65wildcatconvt
add text (see edit history)

Summitt Racing, search: 'buick 401 timing chain'...may come up as for Ford, but click 'check application' to see Buick stuff. A lot of replacements are sloppy loose and the best ones I have found are old stock from when these cars were contemporary...you can spot one of these from the elongated box vs ones that will fold to fit in one hand, like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1976-Buick-400-430-455-timing-chain-/331156999236?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d1a7ecc44&vxp=mtr

Gears? Just check that the teeth, keyway and timing mark is clocked exactly like your original.

Willie

The first one I bought was sloppy loose. I sent it back and got one from someone

else and it was tight....can't remember who I got the tight one from. The loose one came from OPGI.

there was a very good discussion on changing the timing chains on these engines on this forum last year. Do a search and you will find it.