Oil Filter 1936 Dodge

Guest Sifua

I went to NAPA to get an oil filter for my car. Interesting. The unit that I have on it is a Fram FILCRON F467CP and it says the filter replacement is a #C4 or C4P. What I pulled out of the canister was a WIX 51006 (4 1/8" Circumfrence X 5" height). So I went down to NAPA. They had a NAPA GOLD 1006 that looked just like it. <BR> The point is that I don't understand how this canister works. The oil streams in from the side of the canister from a tube from the engine, and goes out the bottom back to the engine. Of the two gaskets that I got with it, I only put the thin one in the screw down top. (There were no directions) My question is, how does this oil filter work? I hope that I didn't mess it up too much.

Fran,<P>I am not certain if this is the same as the one on my car, but here is how mine appears to work. The oil enters through the side of the canister. The filter fits down over a tube which runs up the center of the cannister. The tube has slots/holes in it which the oil passes through to go out the bottom of the filter canister. With mine there is a spring which I have set up so it pushes my filter up towards the top of the canister (I didn't know which way the spring went, I reasoned that either way the filter would cover the slots in my tube, and it made more sense to push it up so the sediment that falls out would not collect on the element).<P>It seems to me the oil comes in through the side, swirls around the filter (some sediment presumably drops to the bottom, other is caught in the filter) passes through the filter element, then exits through the slots in the tube and down and out the outlet fitting at the bottom of the canister.<P>Please note this is not a statement of knowledge, but an educated guess based on my playing with my filter. If I am right or wrong, I'd love to know from those that really do know!<P>Rich