Creating Plastic Parts

Bill Stoneberg

I have a turn signal lever that is chrome and has a black plastic knob molded on to the end. The chrome needs replating and then the now will need replacing. <BR>The knob does'nt come off. It will need to re molded.<BR>Any ideas on how to do this ? Or who can do this type of work ?<BR>Thanks

Hi Bill<BR>This worked for me seveal years ago. With a propane torch heat up the shaft, put it in a vise first, this should soften up the plastic knob and it will come off, the same method can be used to install the knob. A light heating will not hurt the chrome.<P>Jim Schilf / palbuick

Bill,<P>Or you can try this. Place the plastic knob in very hot to almost boiling water for a few minutes or more. It will pull right off. Same goes for installing new plastic knobs.<P>I thought those knobs were being reproduced? Have you try Boyers in PA. or CARS in N.J.? <P>I also thought I was going to make your day by telling you I have a complete lever here that's good enough for show. Should I find it, I'll let you know. It's here somewhere.<P> Rick

Well I tried Boiling the part last night and the knob never came off. I dont have a propane torch to try the other method yet. I didn't think my cutting torch was the correct tool though. I will get a torch and try it again tonight.<P>Rick, If havethat arm that would be much appreciated. Also, who is Boyers ? I looked all through my normal sources and couldn't find them. Do they make plastic reproduction parts ? I have a feeling I will have the same issues witth the Shift knob when I get over to Alabama to retrieve it. <P>Thanks all....

Hey Bill,<BR>I think I'm speaking for many when I say how much I enjoyed your progress reports/pictures. Do you have a separate website with info on it or can you give us a little update. That's going to be a beautiful car when you get it done. Thanks!

Bill,<P>I found the box of parts I was looking for, but the lever isn't there. Sorry!<P>Joe is correct with Boyer's having them. I'm sure it was Skip I bought the knobs from for the '52 I did, but that was 10 years ago. You'll like dealing with Skip. They are good people and great to deal with.<P>Rick

Rick, Thanks for looking. After a little cleaning the lever isn't pitted too bad, so its off to the platers. Its the knob I was worried about.<P>Joe, Thanks for the number for Boyers.I called them today and got a machine but ordered a catalog. <P>We will see what they have.<P>My wife and I have been playing this guessing game as I pack up the interior of the Buick. Its called, "Guess how much this box will cost to Plate". I am sure we will be surprised.<P> shocked.gif" border="0

Thanks Novaman, <BR>That was a year and a half's worth of work to get it to that point.<P>Those High performance slicks were all the rage back in the 60's when the car ran last.<P>I as real lucky that the car still had them on and they hadn't been stolen and replaced by a set of tires with tread. grin.gif" border="0 <P>I finally got the knob off with the application of a propane torch. Thanks for the ideas. Now waiting for the catalog.