Need Help 1923 Mcfarlan

Guest Roj

I purchased a 1923 Mcfarlan and it had the radiator and radiator shell along with front headlights taken off. I'm going to need help in trying to find some, any ideas??????

Regrettably, the A.A.C.A. roster doesn't include lists of

people's cars. Such a compilation would be a tremendous

help for just about anyone with a seldom-seen make.

The Classic Car Club of America DOES, however.

If McFarlan is considered a Classic, there are undoubtedly

a few in their roster.

And is there some sort of McFarlan registry out there?

Or who is a recognized McFarlan expert he could call?

Well, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway has one for me to look at, so that will help, but this car is in rough shape, it has the original motor in it along with the original tranny, but was invovlved in a fire. I will up load photo's, it's such a rare piece and needs to be restored and I'm up for the task, just need help.

Does anyone know what became of the car that Bill Sablom once had? He moved south to Elizabeth City NC years ago, and was selling off a garage full of stuff. I know I bought some automobilia and brass age parts from him, and recall looking over his McFarlan. It was a yellow tourer, believe 1925. Had a nice pair of Testophone horns mounted on the sides. Bill seems to have moved on but I never learned what became of the car. I know he sold an Armstrong Siddley also.

Terry

A good place to start is the 1967 book "What was the McFarlan" by Keith Marvin. It lists all 19 examples then known. There have probably been a few more found since then but I doubt very many more. Is your car one of the ones listed? The book is a bit hard to find but about the only thing in print on McFarlan. At the time of publication there were 3 1923 model "TV" McFarlan's listed. Two were restored and the third was described as a roadster ;cut down from a 7 Pas. sedan , condition was listed as rough. Is this your car?

Greg in Canada

For a small production make like that, a fair guess could be that radiators could have bee made by Rome-Turney Radiator Co , in Rome NY. There was an article on them in Horseless Carriage Club Gazette. One of the original principals was still vertical and active; and he had never thrown out any of the patterns or tooling.

Subsequently, I believe everything may have been sold and transferred to someone in California who made reproduction radiators. John C Meyer 111 is longterm and present editor of HCCA Gazette, so he may be a good person to ask.

There was a very costly dealer who used to bring a vast array of very nice and rare stuff to Bendigo Swap Meet, which he had apparently bought reasonably at Hershey or similar events in USA. He did have a very nice McFarlan oil pressure gauge, though there was obviously never a McFarlan owner in Australia to sell it to.

When you come to restoring your engine, if it is the T-head, you can ensure it is much better and more economical without stressing anything by changing the piston crowns. Though Cattaneo obviously did not know that he was creating "Prior Art" to Sir Harry Rickardo's later L-head "turbulence" combustion chamber patent, which made side valve engines viable and economical for decades, into the 1950s. Minoia won the 1907 Coppa Florio race in Cataneo's 8 litre 4 cylinder Isotta Fraschini. In 302 miles atnearly 70mph average, he used 19.8 gallons of petrol!!!

I suggest you go to the top right corner and type "Mcfarlan" in the advance search window. It will bring up 58 past threads on this site where McFarland was discussed of parts listed for sale. You will have to weed through the threads but you may find some leads.

You might look at the excellent website for the Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum in Fairbanks. They have a 1919 McFarlan Type 125 Sport Touring. Ask for Historian Nancy DeWitt or Manager Willy Vinton if you call them up with any questions about theirs.

A good place to start is the 1967 book "What was the McFarlan" by Keith Marvin. It lists all 19 examples then known. There have probably been a few more found since then but I doubt very many more. Is your car one of the ones listed? The book is a bit hard to find but about the only thing in print on McFarlan. At the time of publication there were 3 1923 model "TV" McFarlan's listed. Two were restored and the third was described as a roadster ;cut down from a 7 Pas. sedan , condition was listed as rough. Is this your car?

Greg in Canada

No, my is a sedan, open front covered rear.

I suggest you go to the top right corner and type "Mcfarlan" in the advance search window. It will bring up 58 past threads on this site where McFarland was discussed of parts listed for sale. You will have to weed through the threads but you may find some leads.

great, I will try that. Thank you