front wheel locking up

Guest classic.car.fan

Guest classic.car.fan

alright so here is whats happening. on my 65 caddy. when i put the car into drive it does not move a little like it should the passenger wheel wont move. you have to press on the gas and the front passenger wheel makes a clunk sound and frees up for a bit. but then starts to freeze up again when you drive it for a few seconds. but it moves a little. and when in reverse the wheel drags and does not move. also losts of brake fluid leaking. i'm jacking it up right now what should i look for? or replace first?

Also replace the flexible brake hose that runs from the hard line to the wheel cylinder. Over time the rubber collapses and closes the inner path for the fluid. Typically the fluid can be pushed to the wheel through pressure but the wheel cylinder cannot relieve the pressure because of the hose collapsing on itself.

Guest classic.car.fan

well i replaced the brake wheel cylinder and the hose and the wheel is still locking up.. i'm thinking wheel bearings? anything else it could really be? also the shoes did not get any brake fluid on them

Also wondering if you changed the Front Wheel anytime lately, since you have had this problem anyway?

I've seen Deep Dish Wheels (with Inward Offsets) get wedged on the Tie Rod before, causing the Wheel to act like what you have described above.

Guest classic.car.fan
well i replaced the brake wheel cylinder and the hose and the wheel is still locking up.. i'm thinking wheel bearings? anything else it could really be? also the shoes did not get any brake fluid on them

the wheel did not spin freely. it was hard to get the drum back on also had to use a mallet. the leak was coming from the rubber thing on the side of the cylinder. it was falling off. and no the wheel has not been changed

Guest classic.car.fan

also when i first tested it. i drove a few feet out the wheel moved fine. but when i tried again an hour later it would not move

Guest classic.car.fan
Are the shoes dragging? You shouldn't have to beat the drum back on the car. If you're not sure what you're doing, you shouldn't be monkeying around with the brakes on a two ton bomb

What do you mean by dragging? I have never heard that term before

I didn't mean that to sound as nasty as it did but you are fooling with something that could potentially kill you or someone else. I suggest taking it to a brake shop and watching them. It will be an educational experience. Certainly nothing you can't do at home after you know what's important and what isn't.

I didn't mean that to sound as nasty as it did but you are fooling with something that could potentially kill you or someone else. I suggest taking it to a brake shop and watching them. It will be an educational experience. Certainly nothing you can't do at home after you know what's important and what isn't.

I agree.....take it to a brake mechanic if you don't know what the "rubber thing on the side of the cylinder" is. Or at the very least, get a shop manual in order to do the job with a little education. You are fooling with your life and ours if you do it incorrectly.

Guest classic.car.fan
I agree.....take it to a brake mechanic if you don't know what the "rubber thing on the side of the cylinder" is. Or at the very least, get a shop manual in order to do the job with a little education. You are fooling with your life and ours if you do it incorrectly.

I know the rubber part is the boot. Forgive me I was tired when writing this. I agree completely taking it to a shop. I only reason I'm trying to fix this one wheel is that the car needs to be moved to get on a tow truck. Its in a tight space right now

Sounds like you need help,for starters,any drum comes of the car,pack the bearings.Lithease the adjuster,and turn it all the way in,New spring kit,wheel cylinders .Clean the drum up and adjust them.As someone said before,replace the short rubber hose,they can collapse,and you will not know it.You will have perfect brakes,unless it is the master cylinder.I would rather you take it to a good wrench.

Guest classic.car.fan
Sounds like you need help,for starters,any drum comes of the car,pack the bearings.Lithease the adjuster,and turn it all the way in,New spring kit,wheel cylinders .Clean the drum up and adjust them.As someone said before,replace the short rubber hose,they can collapse,and you will not know it.You will have perfect brakes,unless it is the master cylinder.I would rather you take it to a good wrench.

I did replace the hose. Master cylinder is also brand new. I'll try once more this week just so I can get the car on the street and get it towed to the shop

Sounds like you didn't back off the brake shoes with the star adjuster as mentioned above. Once you do that it should spin, however backing it to far off and not knowing if the star mechanism is in good working order the shoes may not properly adjust (read tighten up to a good working offset) when you go to stop. If you have done this much work already having a professional go through and verify and fine tune the brakes is money well spent and shouldn't break the bank.

Guest AlCapone
You are in over your head. Take the car to someone who knows what they are doing.[/QUO

I for sure agree 100 %. You are beyond your technical expertise. Take it to someone that knows what they are doing because bad brakes kill people.

Wayne

I used to tell my auto students who were always in the go fast mentality. Brakes are the most important part of the vehicle!

If you can not get it started, you can not get into trouble, but if you can not stop it you are in trouble!

Please take it to a professional or enroll in a community college auto class where you can learn to do the work yourself safely.

Guest classic.car.fan
I used to tell my auto students who were always in the go fast mentality. Brakes are the most important part of the vehicle!

If you can not get it started, you can not get into trouble, but if you can not stop it you are in trouble!

Please take it to a professional or enroll in a community college auto class where you can learn to do the work yourself safely.

that is a good idea. my local jc has an auto class i have been meaning to sign up for that. hopefully this summer

Guest classic.car.fan

alright just to be clear i would never take it on the streets without taking it to a mechanic to check things out first. i'm just trying to get it so i can move it and get it out of the tight space between a barn and my house so i can get it towed

Guest classic.car.fan

also found out why it started acting up again. the boot on the cylinder popped off again, so something is causing it to do so

Reminds me when I was a young un many years ago... Had an old truck and was short on brake fluid. Down on the farm we had barrels of Tractor Hydraulic Fluid. Well, Brakes are hydraulic, Why wont that work? Put some in and they lasted about a week or two and everything started to go wrong one morning coming down a long steep driveway I lived on... O hell, aim toward the corn field. After choppin enough corn with the front end to fill the bed she finally stopped. LOL.. Take her back to my little farm shop. Take everything apart, Flush everything out and get new kits with new cups that were not swelled up three times their original size. Get he correct DOT #3 Fluid. Lesson learned. And all this time you fellers thought I was perfect. :P The best teacher is the school of hard knocks with lessons that do not kill you. Dandy Dave!

also found out why it started acting up again. the boot on the cylinder popped off again, so something is causing it to do so

Brake shoes are supposed to be installed by pushing both wheel cylinder pistons to near center of the wheel cylinder. When both shoes are resting against the anchor pin AND both wheel cylinder pins and pistons pushed in, the shoes are resting on the "pads" of the backing plate and held in place by the retainer pins and springs. With star wheel adjusted to it's shortest length, the drum should slide on easily.

Having said all that, it is my opinion that the piston cannot push the cup off the wheel cylinder unless shoes are incorrectly anchored or you have a mismatch of components somewhere. The piston and rubber cannot blow out unless there is too much travel of the shoes upon application of the pedal.

Would it be OK with you if I take out a life insurance policy on you, naming me as beneficiary?..................Bob

Guest Old48Truck
Reminds me when I was a young un many years ago... Had an old truck and was short on brake fluid. Down on the farm we had barrels of Tractor Hydraulic Fluid. Well, Brakes are hydraulic, Why wont that work? Put some in and they lasted about a week or two and everything started to go wrong one morning coming down a long steep driveway I lived on... O hell, aim toward the corn field. After choppin enough corn with the front end to fill the bed she finally stopped. LOL.. Take her back to my little farm shop. Take everything apart, Flush everything out and get new kits with new cups that were not swelled up three times their original size. Get he correct DOT #3 Fluid. Lesson learned. And all this time you fellers thought I was perfect. :P The best teacher is the school of hard knocks with lessons that do not kill you. Dandy Dave!

I always wondered who ripped up my cornfield...

This is so much reminding me of ,Falcon Girl,i think.A whole lot of great info,but never put to use?I will give him a hands up for doing his own work ,but he is in over his head.Buy a manual,take your time,or send it to a shop.Please listen to the advice you have on this forum.

Edited by old car fan (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest classic.car.fan

I'm taking it to the shop next week. But one issue remains. I need to move the car in order to get it on the tow truck. It will move if i give it enough gas. But I'm worried I will damage the wheel/brakes. Any thoughts ?

Edited by classic.car.fan (see edit history)

I'm taking it to the shop next week. But one issue remains. I need to move the car in order to get it on the tow truck. It will move if i give it enough gas. But I'm worried I will damage the wheel/brakes. Any thoughts ?

I don't think you will cause any more damage to the brakes by putting it on a truck.

Guest classic.car.fan
I don't think you will cause any more damage to the brakes by putting it on a truck.

It actually has to be moved about 100 feet on to the street Before it can go on the truck

It actually has to be moved about 100 feet on to the street Before it can go on the truck

Probably will not do any damage. If in doubt, use some wheel dollies to move it. Where in California are you? Maybe I am close enough to help.

post-37352-14314299892_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
Guest classic.car.fan

Sorry for the late update got a bad flu. Anyway thanks for all the help. Got the car moved and took it to the shop. Everything works great now

Classic, You'll be happy to learn that brakes are pretty easy to work on. The JC class sounds like a great idea, I did that myself back in the day. Shop manuals are your friend, and many can be found online. Youtube is also great, I can almost promise that someone else had recorded a brake job on your car and posted it online. Watch these a few times and make sure you have the tools and comfort to do the job right. Ask how first if you have questions. Looks like a nice car you have there. I agree with some of the above that you are over your head currently, but that doesn't mean you can't learn to swim. I didn't start working on cars until I was 18, not everyone grows up under the hood.