How to find color or color code for car, 1927 Chrysler

GraniteBayBob

Hello Bob, You might have to carefully pull off a part to see a good representation of the original color. Maybe a rear fender, or something on the firewall. If it is a model with aluminum sill plates that would be a good place to start. Good luck, Possibly post in the Chrysler section as well. Art

My memory may not what it was and my records are worse.

I used either ( 1929 Dodge ) Washington Blue ( IM225 ) or Bayou Blue ( IM60 ) on a 1926 Model 70

The color library may still sends out samples. Take and rub out the best or largest areas to get an idea of the color.

I think you will need to follow Art S' advise: For 1930 and later you can write to the Chrysler Historical Collection and get a "build card" for you car which will give the paint and trim codes. However, at least for Plymouth, they've lost the information that allows them to decode the paint and trim numbers for cars earlier than about 1934 or 35. So you won't get the original color information for your specific car from the factory and the best you can do is match what is there.

P.S. Be careful about assuming what is on the firewall is the original body color. For Plymouth, and I would not be surprised to find for other Chrysler built cars, the firewall was always black from the factory prior to 1935.

Edited by ply33 (see edit history)

For the first few years Chrysler cars had standard paint colors for each body style and model, but many were still painted other colors.

On my "28 touring car the standard colors are listed as "London Smoke and French Gary Light" I found some of the original paint under the dash when I rewired the car. The paint was like a glossy red oxide primmer and a redish peanut butter. My car was built in the first hour of the Model 62's run (#33) so I think it was painted to stand out at the new car shows. Chrysler so far has found no records.