Need help!!!! Engine decode Chrysler New Yorker

Guest Dschoermenbikes

Guest Dschoermenbikes

Hello, im new here.....im Uwe from Germany....i collected some US Cars and german Oldtimers.... i have an 1958 Fairlane and a 1979 Camaro and now i have found an 1964 Chrysler New Yorker....original this car must have an 413 cui motor....but the pre owner told me its an 426 or 440 cui....the only motornumder ive found is 2205867 and on top V41 8 20.....can anybody help me?! Best regards and Greetings from Germany Uwe

Unless I am badly mistaken, 426 wedge and Hemi engines were never offered in Chrysler cars, only the Plymouth and Dodge brands. The 440 was first offered in 1966.

You are not mistaken. Maybe his engine was replaced.

Hello, im new here.....im Uwe from Germany....i collected some US Cars and german Oldtimers.... i have an 1958 Fairlane and a 1979 Camaro and now i have found an 1964 Chrysler New Yorker....original this car must have an 413 cui motor....but the pre owner told me its an 426 or 440 cui....the only motornumder ive found is 2205867 and on top V41 8 20.....can anybody help me?! Best regards and Greetings from Germany Uwe

If I am understanding,

Your car originally had a 413 .

And, you want to identify the engine in there now.

If you are standing with the hood open look at the front of the engine on your right (drivers side) look where the head meets the block (front of engine). There will be a machined surface there. If it is a 413 or 440 (RB engine) this machined pad will be at the angle of the deck and the head will be right above it. If its a B engine (the low deck version) 361,383, 400 the pad will be an inch or so to the left of that and will be horizontal and maybe just below the intake.

Usually the displacement is stamped on this pad.

The B, RB engines all have the distributor on the front of the engine. The A (or small block) engines have the distributor on the back of the engine.

As noted, the factory production standard engine would have been a 340 horsepower 413cid V-8. That was the only engine Chrysler put in a New Yorker in 1964. There was a 360 horsepower 413, but it had factory dual exhausts.

The later 440 V-8 could physically replace the 413, but would have had 6-bolt valve covers rather than 4-bolt valve covers (the additional bolts were on the lower ends of the covers).

One possible identifier might be the number on the distributor (if it's not stamped into the outer surface of the upper area, then it should be on a metal tag screwed to the housing) or the carburetor. You can also track the casting number on the intake manifold, possibly., just as the casting number on the block can be tracked. That would have been the "small base pattern" Carter AFB, back then, with the "smaller diameter" air horn opening (where the air cleaner touches it).

361, 383, 400 "low block" Chrysler V-8 distributors will only fit in those sizes of Chrysler engine. The distributor shaft out of the bottom of the distributor housing is shorter than the "raised block" 413s, 426 (non-Hemi) "Street Wedge", and 440 V-8s.

Chrysler built some great cars, back then!

Welcome aboard!

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Guest Dschoermenbikes

thx for the answers,

this car is an Barn find, but its running ;-)

4bolt valve cover, dual exhaust, distributor on the back

its an LC "Luft Compression"

the number 2205867 is on the left side.....post-106515-143142969531_thumb.jpg

post-106515-143142969537_thumb.jpg

Guest Dschoermenbikes
I believe you have a 413 engine in your car. I once owned a 62 Dodge with a high performance 413 engine. The pad on the front of the block was stamped S41 HP. S for 1962 41 for 413 HP for high performance.

v41= 1964?? LC = luft compression 820 = i think 20.August??

Guest Dschoermenbikes

http://www.blight.com/~tony/6265/6265faq-numbers.html

V41LC820

V =1964

41 = 413

LC= Low Compression

820= 20. August

right?!

so this must be an originally 413cui.....but the block number don`t listening in those lists.......maybe they replaced the block?!

blocknumber 2005867

normally the number must be 2205697 for the 413 or 426

see this list

http://www.stockmopar.com/mopar-engine-casting-numbers.html

my number isn`t there :-((

VIN-Number 8343.....

means ChryslerV8

New Yorker 1964

built in Jefferson Michigan

Thx and greetings Uwe

Edited by Dschoermenbikes (see edit history)

Guest Dschoermenbikes

I have the real clean number.....2205697......i cleaned up n look again ok its an RB 413 or 426.....where is the different between both engine?! Which Carburetor i had install? Numbers i have found on it 6-1703 and on throttle 7-218 and o-1431 maybe carter?!

Guest Dschoermenbikes

Yes on the backside Carter AFB.... i think i can choose 413 or 426 with the carburetor type? Where can i find the carburetor number? No metal tag there.....

I don't think that the 426 Wedge was available in that car,

In your pics the distributor is in the front. So it is a B, RB engine (big block)

I also can clearly see the machined pad that I referred to earlier is horizontal not at the angle of the deck.

This makes it a low deck B engine. I don't remember what years the 361 and 383s were installed without looking it up but you have one of those, not an RB, so not a 413 or 440.

Interestingly enough, I just put an identical car on a boat to go to Germany. Here are some shots of the engine, hopefully they will help. I believe you have a 413, which was the only engine available in the New Yorker. The documentation that came with that car referred to the engine as VC-3, but I don't know to what that is referring.

post-31138-143142970375_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142970379_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142970385_thumb.jpg

post-31138-14314297039_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142970395_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142970401_thumb.jpg

VC1 is the designation for a Newport engine. VC2 is the designation for the 300 engine. VC3 is the designation for the New Yorker engine.

V36 is the model designation for the Newport.

V38 is the model designation for the 300.

V41 is the model designation for the New Yorker.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

There is some guff re Chrysler codes in The Standard Catalog. Seems they introduced a new engine numbering system in 1960 with a letter code for the year starting with P for 1960. V was used for 1964. As others have stated a 383 was a V38 and the 413 was V41. The other numbers denote the day of manufacture eg V41 8 20 would be a 413 made on 20 August.

I guess that engine was made in August 1963(??) as August 1964 would be a date for a 1965 model engine. ( I know my 1965 Pontiac engine was cast in July 1964 and put in the car in September 1964.) For 1965 they started again with the year letters, using A for 1965.

The car serial number should be on the left front door pillar. The number should have a four figure code for the body style then a further six figures for the sequential number.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

VC1 is the designation for a Newport engine. VC2 is the designation for the 300 engine. VC3 is the designation for the New Yorker engine.

V36 is the model designation for the Newport. 361

V38 is the model designation for the 300. 383

V41 is the model designation for the New Yorker. 413

I HATE IT THAT MY MEMORY IS GOING AWAY.

My apologies, I had the angles of the ID pad reversed. I went to my core pile to confirm, The horizontal pad IS the RB and the angled pad is the low deck engine.

I raced these engines for years and I guess some of the details are getting fuzzy.

Your car probably does indeed have the 413 engine in it.

Again my apologies.

The 413 is an excellent engine. Very smooth, quiet, powerful and long lived. Not too good on gas mileage.

Chrysler New Yorker at that time was a state of the art luxury car with torsion bars suspension, powerful V8 engine, 3 speed auto trans with pushbutton operation, exclusive electroluminescent instrument panel lighting, and all the power accessories customary on American luxury cars of the time.

If you have one in top condition, you will be impressed. I think the BMW people were impressed, they seem to have copied it! : )

Guest Dschoermenbikes
The 413 is an excellent engine. Very smooth, quiet, powerful and long lived. Not too good on gas mileage.

Chrysler New Yorker at that time was a state of the art luxury car with torsion bars suspension, powerful V8 engine, 3 speed auto trans with pushbutton operation, exclusive electroluminescent instrument panel lighting, and all the power accessories customary on American luxury cars of the time.

If you have one in top condition, you will be impressed. I think the BMW people were impressed, they seem to have copied it! : )

so i think, too:p