Rust sells in Europe!

trimacar

Many went for 10 times the estimate

Some would struggle to sell at those prices fully restored!

Jaguar Type S 3.4 L

estimation : 4.000 – 6.000€

prix réalisé : 25.000€ (USD $28306)

Packard Super Eight Cabriolet – 1938

estimation : 15.000 – 25.000€

prix réalisé : 29.800€ (USD $33743)

Porsche 356 SC – 1963

estimation : 20.000 – 30.000€

prix réalisé : 89.500€ (USD $101,357)

Eu1000 = USD1132

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Pebble beach a definite possibility...those with the desire and money scour the earth looking for the unusual and classy to restore for that show....and when I say money, I mean the serious kind, the people to whom $100K is nothing, and a million is just a round number.....

I'm just amazed at how many people have enough money to throw it away on absolute junk. Just to be IN with the IN Crowd is getting ridiculous! Car auctions like this, Lamberts, B-J and the rest are putting the common old car guy like me on the endangered species list. It seems that as every year goes by, prices rise far too fast for the average income working man to get in or stay in the hobby. As soon as the Arizona Auctions are over the prices seem to escalate on all the websites and private sellers alike.

I'm just amazed at how many people have enough money to throw it away on absolute junk. Just to be IN with the IN Crowd is getting ridiculous! Car auctions like this, Lamberts, B-J and the rest are putting the common old car guy like me on the endangered species list. It seems that as every year goes by, prices rise far too fast for the average income working man to get in or stay in the hobby. As soon as the Arizona Auctions are over the prices seem to escalate on all the websites and private sellers alike.

Lambrechts, not Lamberts and you forgot about Lee Hartung's.

The prices do seem high, but a number of the cars are very rare and desirable makes and models. They may be the last unrestored Talbot -Lago T46's , And Voisin automobiles are also very rare. Cars of this stature have been out of reach of "average" old car hobbyists for decades. But there was a few realitively ordinary cars that sold for unusually high prices, the Jag and the Facel-Vega for example reaching prices that good examples would normally bring. Being part of such a noteworthy collection no doubt greatly boosted the prices.

I have long considered auctions the worst way to buy a collector car. But it is the standard way to buy higher end cars. I suppose that if someone is looking for a rare and desireable car getting a "good buy" is less important than buying a car that may only see a single example for sale every 5 or 10 years. For the rest of us there are plenty of decent collectors cars on the regular market, and some of them are even attractively priced.

Greg in Canada

Pebble beach a definite possibility...those with the desire and money scour the earth looking for the unusual and classy to restore for that show....and when I say money, I mean the serious kind, the people to whom $100K is nothing, and a million is just a round number.....

I guess I'm out. I still stop to pick up a penny I find in the road, even if it is covered with slush and salt.

For a while someone was throwing quarters out on our street. That was like hitting the lotto.

It's a hot market out there!!!

Unless it's missing the wooden header bow like my car. Not the hardware which I had all new pieces cast and machined just the wood piece almost anyone with a few wood tools could make. (I only didn't do it because I really wanted to use a pattern that was exact, not a best guess which probably 99.9 percent of the population wouldn't know the difference.

I even had a guy looking for a 1936 Chrysler, Chevy or Pontiac Convertible pass when I told him that piece was missing. (the pattern can be utilized from any Mopar convertible from 1935-1937. )

Note the car has been mechanically rebuilt has very good chrome a good interior with a 99 percent rustfree body. (only the bottom of the tail pan skin has rust/repair)

Can you imagine what some of these are missing? One off hardware and trim that will have to be fabricated from best guesses and old photos, much less major sheetmetal and chassis components. The degree of rust in some of these leads me to believe there is alot of chassis/ suspension rot.

I guess it's time to ship it to France

Incredible.

Auburnseeker, I feel your pain.....I can buy cars easily, and the ones I buy always seem to have other buyers lined up behind me (oh, well, at least the seller says so!! :) ) but when I go to sell one it seems no one's interested....I have a 1910 Hudson project and a 1967 Lincoln convertible for sale now, lots of people asking and talking but no one seems serious about either....that's a very interesting car you have for sale and am agreeing with "incredible" that you haven't had a taker on it....good luck!