1958 Buick Wells Fargo at Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance, March 13 - 15

Centurion

Will anyone here be attending the Concours?

Over the years, there have been many questions on the forums here regarding the 1958 Buick Wells Fargo that was built for Dale Robertson, who starred in the "Tales of Wells Fargo".

I note that the car will be displayed at the Concours, and hope that some of our Buick folks will be on-hand to capture some excellent photos and information about this Buick, which seems to have been hidden from public view during recent years.

West, thank you so much for sharing that article about Joe Bortz and the Wells Fargo. What surprises me is that, even during the 1990's, this car was not commanding higher prices at the auctions. The simple fact that it's a '58 Buick Limited convertible makes it very special, and its unique features and fascinating history should make it all the more valuable.

I found myself wishing that I were the guy who had let the Milwaukee Buick dealership know in 1990 that I wanted the car!

• 1 month later...
Guest my3buicks

It is so great to finally after all these years get to see some fantastic pictures of the WF and not the tease pictures we have looked at for years.

Brian: Thanks for posting the pics. Great to see the car still lives. Anybody notice the shift quadrant looks like it's been converted to a Twin Turbine Dynaflow. Hope the owner keeps the car in view.

Yes, Dave, I noticed this also, and was a bit disappointed that the car's original Flight Pitch is no longer in place.

Devils advocate here. With that 'change' how do we know it is the original. Just saying.

Ben

Ben, I don't know for certain, of course, about this car's original transmission. But I believe that the Flight Pitch was standard equipment in all 1958 Limiteds and Roadmaster 75's. Since the Wells Fargo is a slightly customized 1958 Limited, I think that it most likely had the Flight Pitch transmission when originally delivered to Dale Robertson.

How late in 58 was the car built? It could also easily have been involved in the ol' flight pitch-to-twin turbine swap early in its life. I like the power vent windows and later model interior door handles...and rear seat speaker (although it doesn't really look like a speaker grille).

Good points Adam.

Both my Limiteds and the Roadmaster do not have the Flightpitch tranys so knowing there was switchs made obviously the Wells Fargo had it done at some time. The vin number would be interesting to read.

So, Doug and Adam, did Buick discontinue use of the Flight Pitch at some point during the course of the 1958 model year and begin using the Twin Turbine in these cars?

Or, would any '58 Limited with a Twin Turbine have been converted sometime after the car's original delivery?

Unfortunately I don't have any data to say for sure about timeline replacements. I just recall reading the odd article about Buick dealerships having to eventually switch them to satisfy customers (and we all know how the memory works).

It is the same with the air bag suspension, my second Limited has the rear height levelers, steel air lines (rusted out), air control valve, compressor at power steering pump and air holding tank between the frame under the lower splash pan infront of the rad but no air bags while my 1st Limited has none of that except the air tank. I never had any paperwork with either car of mechanical history so.... I wonder if the Wells Fargo ever had the air bags?

Adam: Noticed those vent windows as as well. Bet Buick got those from Cadillac. Interesting take on the paddle type door handles as well.

Ben: I agree with Brian that the Flight Pitch was standard on Roadmasters and Limiteds; however, many survivors were converted. Buick even listed a factory conversion kit for this as they did for the troublesome Air Poise suspension. Some 58 Flight Pitches were changed to the 59 version( renamed Triple Turbine) per factory Service Bulletins. A unique driving experience no matter which version a 58 Roadmaster or Limited is equipped.

Doug: We need somebody to pop the hood on the Wells Fargo. I'm curious as well. If it did have the air bags, I'll wager it was converted long ago. I have a copy of the instructions that came with the conversion kit. Your second Limited accurately reflects the results of those instructions.